Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 223/556, 762, Pistols, Galil Ace, Keltec plr16, Rifle caliper pistols Question

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    7.62x39 does better out of a short barrel than 556 does. 7.62x51 out of a short barrel is really loud, the sound alone is enough to scare alot of people away.
    Reminds me of a great video I saw.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Elk County)

Default Re: 223/556, 762, Pistols, Galil Ace, Keltec plr16, Rifle caliper pistols Question

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    7.62x39 does better out of a short barrel than 556 does. 7.62x51 out of a short barrel is really loud, the sound alone is enough to scare alot of people away.
    . . . and you need to wear anti-flash gear.

Noah Zark
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Reminds me of a great video I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJCg9CCAJyI

John goes into his stance on suppressors for HD in this Colion Noir interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    John goes into his stance on suppressors for HD in this Colion Noir interview.

From what I know of him, this is one of the few things I vehemently disagree with John about.

Suppressors absolutely for home defense, in my opinion.

No one knows exactly how any given home defense incident is going to play out inside your home, and I think banking on "auditory exclusion" to protect your hearing is foolish if you have the option to run suppressed. Everyone's body reacts differently. Your hearing may or may not be protected just when you need it most.

Much of the damage still occurs, even if you don't notice it at that moment, and others (including your children) may not experience the same "protection" from an adrenaline dump if they aren't cognizant of the danger. An unsuppressed shot inside a structure can be very disorienting, potentially to the point of taking yourself out of a fight.

Some people are especially sensitive to very loud guns in confined spaces and a gunshot can cause nearly instant vertigo, headaches, nausea, disorientation, hearing loss, and ringing. These are not things I want to experience while fighting for my life, if given the choice.

I know John has been there, done that and survived, but that doesn't mean everyone will be so lucky.

I understand where he's coming from, but I think it's at least as likely that using a suppressor may preserve your hearing enough to allow you to hear something critical like a police command or the movement of a family member where you didn't expect them to be. I believe suppressor use reduces the chance of tragic mistakes from having bad situational awareness or impaired communications.

If you do survive the incident, the long term effects of tinnitus and hearing loss aren't jokes either. I respect where he's coming from, but on this one--no thanks John.

ETA: Not to mention, suppressed shots--especially from rifles with supersonic ammo--aren't exactly quiet anyway. That's hollywood bullcrap. I have loud alarm sirens and other things to make a racket already. If that doesn't scare off an intruder, I don't think the sound of an unsuppressed gun shot is going to improve my survivability any more than a suppressed shot. You're welcome to your opinion.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Allegheny County)

I should buy one of his T-shirts because I'm on his team.
    Unless shooting indoors will likely cause me to die, the begging for permission, the ridiculous amount of money, and the added length and weight (which totally negates the whole purpose of having a compact gun) are more compelling factors to not own one - in my opinion.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12