Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Probable new gun owners, a tale of two firearm manufacturers

In the last year or so I had to send two firearms back to their company for repair. Both were 22 caliber handguns. The 1st was a Taurus TX22. The second was a Ruger SR22. The Taurus TX22 was purchased new. The Ruger SR22 was purchased used and was four years old.

The Taurus was three months old, had about 4500 rds fired when the front of the slide cracked caused by the recoil spring assembly which gauged away the aluminum where it rode in the front of the slide. It also had a lot of chatter marks in the barrel. Was sent to Taurus with a explanation of the problems. After 12 WEEKS it was returned. Taurus replaced the slide, did nothing about the recoil assembly or the chattered barrel. The description from Taurus was replaced slide & fired 32 rds. Upon inspection the newly replaced slide already had gauge marks from the non replaced recoil assembly.

The Ruger was sent in for a broken slide lock which was caused by me, not the guns fault. Being 4 yrs old & used, I had fired over 5000 rds through it and since I didn't know how much use it got from the previous owner, I requested that Ruger replace any worn parts and that I would cover the cost of any parts that were replaced. I received the SR22 back from Ruger in 10 DAYS. The description from Ruger was replaced the entire slide and all its components, the slide stop, slide stop spring and the ENTIRE frame assembly. Fired 30 rds. I basically received a brand new firearm and the charge from Ruger, $0. Completely covered under their warranty.

If you looking for a new firearm or you're a 1st time buyer the difference between what company you're buying from should be given serious consideration.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Probable new gun owners, a tale of two firearm manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    In the last year or so I had to send two firearms back to their company for repair. Both were 22 caliber handguns. The 1st was a Taurus TX22. The second was a Ruger SR22. The Taurus TX22 was purchased new. The Ruger SR22 was purchased used and was four years old.

The Taurus was three months old, had about 4500 rds fired when the front of the slide cracked caused by the recoil spring assembly which gauged away the aluminum where it rode in the front of the slide. It also had a lot of chatter marks in the barrel. Was sent to Taurus with a explanation of the problems. After 12 WEEKS it was returned. Taurus replaced the slide, did nothing about the recoil assembly or the chattered barrel. The description from Taurus was replaced slide & fired 32 rds. Upon inspection the newly replaced slide already had gauge marks from the non replaced recoil assembly.

The Ruger was sent in for a broken slide lock which was caused by me, not the guns fault. Being 4 yrs old & used, I had fired over 5000 rds through it and since I didn't know how much use it got from the previous owner, I requested that Ruger replace any worn parts and that I would cover the cost of any parts that were replaced. I received the SR22 back from Ruger in 10 DAYS. The description from Ruger was replaced the entire slide and all its components, the slide stop, slide stop spring and the ENTIRE frame assembly. Fired 30 rds. I basically received a brand new firearm and the charge from Ruger, $0. Completely covered under their warranty.

If you looking for a new firearm or you're a 1st time buyer the difference between what company you're buying from should be given serious consideration.
    Ruger is top notch in the customer service department. I've sent back a Mark iii pistol that the main spring assembly couldn't be removed from. The staked pin backed out. They replaced it and even sent back my Volquartsen parts (which i was sure to request) in a bag. They also reinstalled the lci which i then promptly removed again when it came back.

Henry and s&w have been good to me. Although I've seen some s&w situations that weren't always handled so great.

-Zach

(Berks County)

I haven't had to send any of my H&K's back, just saying.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I haven't had to send any of my H&K's back, just saying.
    I have to agree. I own a few and to my knowledge H&K never had a recall or " voluntary upgrade" for any of their firearms on the market nor did I have to send them back to repair a defect. Unlike SIG.

Taurus: "They are great, if you get a good one". For a little more money you can buy a brand where it's rare to get a bad one.

(Berks County)

Charter Arms got my revolver fixed and back in 1 week, no charge. Came with 2 cylinders. One wouldn*t turn, star needed fitting, other wouldn*t lock if you lightly dragged the cylinder. Both are perfect now. Talked to the head guy on first call. He wants them all to be right.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

HK makes a fantastic firearm no one doubts that. But how do you think you would be treated if you dropped a used 4 yr old HK and broke a part? Do you think it would be repaired at no charge? Do you think they would make the gun like new, no questions asked and again at no charge. I don't think so. From HK's website;

You must provide Heckler & Koch Inc. with satisfactory proof of date of original purchase. We strongly recommend that you return a properly completed warranty registration card or an acknowledgment of online warranty registration to establish eligibility for warranty service. If you do not return a warranty card or an acknowledgment of online warranty registration to Heckler & Koch Inc., you are required at the time you send your firearm to Heckler & Koch Inc. warranty service to provide proof of the date that you purchased your new Heckler & Koch Inc. firearm. As stated earlier, in the event that this firearm was given as a gift at the time of original purchase, the warranty card/online warranty registration with the name of the donee must be provided to Heckler & Koch Inc., in order for the warranty to become effective. Note: Non-warranty servicing must follow the same shipping procedures as stated above. HK firearms with a valid Return Authorization Number should be addressed:

This warranty does not cover defects or damage caused by: (1) unreasonable use; (2) failure to provide proper care or maintenance; (3) failure to comply with instructions in the owner*s manual including improper installation of original Heckler & Koch Inc. parts by the owner or his agent; (4) normal wear and tear for the degree of use; (5) rust or corrosion; (6) obstructions in the barrels; (7) excessive use; (8) finish on the slide.
    Heckler & Koch Inc. reserves the right to determine what constitutes the unreasonable or excessive use of the firearm. All wooden parts and all accessories are excluded from warranty coverage. This warranty does not cover any claims made by the second or subsequent owner of a Heckler & Koch Inc. firearm as stated above.

(Berks County)

HK makes a fantastic firearm no one doubts that. But how do you think you would be treated if you dropped a used 4 yr old HK and broke a part? Do you think it would be repaired at no charge? Do you think they would make the gun like new, no questions asked and again at no charge. I don't think so. From HK's website;

You must provide Heckler & Koch Inc. with satisfactory proof of date of original purchase. We strongly recommend that you return a properly completed warranty registration card or an acknowledgment of online warranty registration to establish eligibility for warranty service. If you do not return a warranty card or an acknowledgment of online warranty registration to Heckler & Koch Inc., you are required at the time you send your firearm to Heckler & Koch Inc. warranty service to provide proof of the date that you purchased your new Heckler & Koch Inc. firearm. As stated earlier, in the event that this firearm was given as a gift at the time of original purchase, the warranty card/online warranty registration with the name of the donee must be provided to Heckler & Koch Inc., in order for the warranty to become effective. Note: Non-warranty servicing must follow the same shipping procedures as stated above. HK firearms with a valid Return Authorization Number should be addressed:

This warranty does not cover defects or damage caused by: (1) unreasonable use; (2) failure to provide proper care or maintenance; (3) failure to comply with instructions in the owner*s manual including improper installation of original Heckler & Koch Inc. parts by the owner or his agent; (4) normal wear and tear for the degree of use; (5) rust or corrosion; (6) obstructions in the barrels; (7) excessive use; (8) finish on the slide.
    Heckler & Koch Inc. reserves the right to determine what constitutes the unreasonable or excessive use of the firearm. All wooden parts and all accessories are excluded from warranty coverage. This warranty does not cover any claims made by the second or subsequent owner of a Heckler & Koch Inc. firearm as stated above.
    Hipoint has a no questions asked guarantee. Fill the barrel up with lead after a squib, no problem. Go for it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

I sent my USP Tactical back not because there was anything functionally wrong, but because I said my trigger wasn't quite as smooth as my other USPs. They paid shipping both ways, smoothed the trigger, and sent it back in under 2 weeks with a bunch of stickers. No proof of purchase needed.

(Berks County)

$300 gun. Repairs will cost you.

$3000 gun. Repairs will usually be free. You've already paid for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast