Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: The 2020 ammo price tracker thread

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    It's called "supply and demand" just like the big gasolene selling companies, they have the supply and they demand you pay this price. They hold back on supplies and squeeze the market for higher prices. It happens every time there is high demand for gasolene or ammo. There's no real shortage there's just a shortage of the factories letting their supplies get into the market place. When you have only a few factories producing just like a few oil refineries they can control the market.
    There is a shortage in America. Just in time has set the conditions. Only takes an initiation of the shortage. And here we are. Primers are a bottle neck. Powder, brass. This isn*t a fake deal to drive up prices. COVID regulations riots asshole governors and mayors scare people into purchasing beyond what the normal just in time model can handle.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Chester County)

It's called "supply and demand" just like the big gasolene selling companies, they have the supply and they demand you pay this price. They hold back on supplies and squeeze the market for higher prices. It happens every time there is high demand for gasolene or ammo. There's no real shortage there's just a shortage of the factories letting their supplies get into the market place. When you have only a few factories producing just like a few oil refineries they can control the market.
    Capitalism is great...

...what a country!

Its only getting better...just got a back in stock notification for fiocchi 9mm 115 grain FMJ for $35.95 a box with no limit......I know its supply and demand but do believe a little price gouging has set in....I can still find sites for $15 a box......abeit that is even higher since the beginning of the year....with no limit...however with a 6-8 week wait period......Think I will sit back and watch this all play out......have enough to continue to shoot at the range being a little more tight on the amount of rounds expended....

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

This thread makes me want to go hug all of my ammo cans.

How much worse can it get? We're still 5 weeks from the election.

(Perry County)

I think we should distinguish between profiteering and price gouging.

To my mind, price gouging is charging exorbitant fees for a critical commodity during a crisis. IE $20 a gallon for gas in an area under a mandatory evacuation knowing some people will HAVE to buy to get out.

The ammo prices are crazy because there are a lot of new gun owners, a lot of pre-election stocking up and concerns over the level of unrest. No one is likely to be absolutely unable to get ammo. And even if that's the case, ammo is generally a "just in case" item. Even with everything happening it's highly likely no one will die because they couldn't get ammo. That makes this profiteering which is OK in my book. Taking advantage of boom times to maximize profits knowing that there will be plenty of occasions where the profit margin is going to be 1 or 2 percent.

More importantly, in our little community here online or in the real world, I imagine a lot could and would give away a box to someone that truly needed it. In just my "oh shit" calibers, I have in excess of 10,000 rounds; I wouldn't miss a box. My FFL friend who is allowed to sell ammo (zoning restriction doesn't allow me to) is still able to get cases at inflated but not obscene prices and he's passing it along to his customers with only a little mark-up. And I'm sure he's not the only dealer handling his business that way.

Let's face it, a lot of people that could get ammo at a reasonable price right now would turn around and sell it for a nice profit. No one and nothing is forcing people to buy ammo at these prices. They're doing it voluntarily and I see no reason someone shouldn't make the money while they can.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Perry County)

Hey hunters and 30-06 shooters. I haven't bought 30-06 in some time, the most recent being for the Garand.

What was the going rate pre-panic for premium hunting ammo in 30-06? I just paid $25 a box for Federal Premium Vital-Shok 30-06 165gr. on GB. I didn't feel that was too bad, having paid close to $40 a box for the last .300 WSM ammo I bought for hunting several years ago.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Capitalism is great...

...what a country!
    Capitalism is the correct way of conducting business so there is benefit to seller and buyer but there are also some flaws like everything else. The one flaw that had to be addressed is monopolies. Monopolies threaten free trade. One oil company threatened free trade and had to be broken up. The telecommunications business under Bell Telephone was a monopoly and was broken up. Today gasolene, ammo, internet search, social media and a host of other popular products are controlled by pseudo monopolies that fix prices, limit access for political power by using underhanded understandings among providers and manufacturers. The term for that is called price fixing.

In the last ammo shortage during the oblozo admin during the Toomey/Manchin universal gun registration scheme debate and vote ammo manufactures worked overtime, added facilities and production capabilities but then Trump got elected and he became a bad gun and ammo salesperson unlike oblozo and the hag. Manufacturers aren't going to ramp up like that again unless Dopey Joe is elected or the election goes south somehow. This is all Trump's fault, orange man bad.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Capitalism is the correct way of conducting business so there is benefit to seller and buyer but there are also some flaws like everything else. The one flaw that had to be addressed is monopolies. Monopolies threaten free trade. One oil company threatened free trade and had to be broken up. The telecommunications business under Bell Telephone was a monopoly and was broken up. Today gasolene, ammo, internet search, social media and a host of other popular products are controlled by pseudo monopolies that fix prices, limit access for political power by using underhanded understandings among providers and manufacturers. The term for that is called price fixing.

In the last ammo shortage during the oblozo admin during the Toomey/Manchin universal gun registration scheme debate and vote ammo manufactures worked overtime, added facilities and production capabilities but then Trump got elected and he became a bad gun and ammo salesperson unlike oblozo and the hag. Manufacturers aren't going to ramp up like that again unless Dopey Joe is elected or the election goes south somehow. This is all Trump's fault, orange man bad.
    If my name was Schwinn and there was a run on my $1K bicycles, I*d be charging $3K per.

Ammunition manufacturers are not price gouging... there are laws against that. They*re simply riding the political wave. I*d be doing the same thing if I were them, (i.e., taking what the market will bear).

(Chester County)

A quick update, 12 days before the election, according to ammoseek.com: cheapest steel cased .223 is $.50/ea. and brass cased is $.60/ea., 9mm steel cased is $.50/ea. and brass cased is $.50/ea. These are all new manufacture ammo prices, available from online retailers.

(Montgomery County)

I really thought prices were gonna go up even more this close to the election.. that being said, if The Big Guy wins these will be the salad days..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast