Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Help a reloading noob?

Another low recoil option would be to shoot .38s in the .357 and 44 Specials in the .44 Mag. The smaller cases give you less problems with loading density and even full powered loads will have much less recoil than the mags.

(Warren County)

Default Re: Help a reloading noob?

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I didn't trust the 44 mag speed die for the crimp, so I used the factory crimp die, which did a nice roll crimp.

I took my dad out to PMSC today. He's 82 now, and it sucks getting old. He had taken his hearing aids out to shoot, so I gave him my electronic muffs turned all the way up, and I used a pair of unpowered muffs, so we were able to talk just fine, lol. He brought two 44 mag revolvers, his s&W 629 with an 8" barrel, and his 4" Ruger Super Blackhawk. The Ruger was a handful for me, but he really struggled with it. He also had trouble racking slides on a couple of my guns, and had to sit down after a while. I did most of the shooting after that. Still, we both had a great time. I especially liked getting to shoot his Winchester 44 mag large loop carbine next to my Winchester 94 30-30.

I know that he had mixed feelings about giving up his reloading gear. I think he felt better about it today, getting to go out and shoot my reloads with me. I'm going to reload some .357 Mag next. With his degrading abilities, I suspect that he may have trouble shooting some of his carry guns, which are mainly Derringers and small revolvers. That would be a good excuse to get him to shoot those guns that he probably hasn't shot for years.
    Excellent work, amigo.

TCOB with Dad, showing him you are learning to use what he obviously feels is Important..

Good on ya!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234