Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Help a reloading noob?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Roll crimp magnums. I would guess factory would be ok. Taper crimp case mouth headspace cartridges and roll crimp heavy recoiling rim headspace cartridges.
    Thanks, but I only speak noob.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I've got 500 .44 240gr SWC's and a pound of 2400. I'd like to load some .44 mag ammo and get my dad out to the range this weekend. I'm sorting through all of my dad's gear, and I'm scratching my head on this one. For .44 Mag, there's a Lee speed die. But there's also a taper crimp die and a factory crimp die. My dad doesn't remember using either of these crimp dies.

What's the word on speed dies? Do they work well? Would this speed die not crimp as well as one of the crimp dies?

From the Lee website:

Speed Dies were discontinued in 2007 following the growing popularity of separated die sets.

The Speed Die did everything a 3-Die Set does by combining some steps. Speed Dies included a removable carbide-sizing ring, while the Decapping Mandrel also expanded the case mouth. When seating a bullet, it would apply a modified taper or roll crimp. The Speed Dies could only be used for jacketed bullets, can not be used for cast bullets. Speed Dies were not interchangeable.

Doesn't sound like the Speed Dies are the best option. I would not use either a taper crimp or a Carbide Factory Crimp Die with lead bullets if I had a choice but if that is what you have and are not looking to build max loads the taper crimp would be my choice.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, but I only speak noob.
    If you are shooting heavy magnum loads you should use a roll crimp die. otherwise the projos may move in the case under heavy recoil.

(Butler County)

Thanks again for all of the advice! I loaded some .44 mag last night. The weather looks great for this weekend, I'll try to get my dad out to the range.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks again for all of the advice! I loaded some .44 mag last night. The weather looks great for this weekend, I'll try to get my dad out to the range.
    In all the excitement, do you remember if you loaded 5 or 6?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    In all the excitement, do you remember if you loaded 5 or 6?
    Do you gots to know?

(Westmoreland County)

Do you gots to know?
    [Insert a pic of someone peeing his pants here]

(Allegheny County)

To expand further on the crimping. Revolver rounds index on the case rim. The roll crimp is great for really biting into the crimp groove and keeping the bullet from moving under heavy recoil.

Most semi auto rounds index on the case mouth. for these loads we use a taper crimp.

If you have a 44mag die it will roll crimp. If you have a 9mm die it will taper crimp. Usually.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    To expand further on the crimping. Revolver rounds index on the case rim. The roll crimp is great for really biting into the crimp groove and keeping the bullet from moving under heavy recoil.

Most semi auto rounds index on the case mouth. for these loads we use a taper crimp.

If you have a 44mag die it will roll crimp. If you have a 9mm die it will taper crimp. Usually.
    I didn't trust the 44 mag speed die for the crimp, so I used the factory crimp die, which did a nice roll crimp.

I took my dad out to PMSC today. He's 82 now, and it sucks getting old. He had taken his hearing aids out to shoot, so I gave him my electronic muffs turned all the way up, and I used a pair of unpowered muffs, so we were able to talk just fine, lol. He brought two 44 mag revolvers, his s&W 629 with an 8" barrel, and his 4" Ruger Super Blackhawk. The Ruger was a handful for me, but he really struggled with it. He also had trouble racking slides on a couple of my guns, and had to sit down after a while. I did most of the shooting after that. Still, we both had a great time. I especially liked getting to shoot his Winchester 44 mag large loop carbine next to my Winchester 94 30-30.

I know that he had mixed feelings about giving up his reloading gear. I think he felt better about it today, getting to go out and shoot my reloads with me. I'm going to reload some .357 Mag next. With his degrading abilities, I suspect that he may have trouble shooting some of his carry guns, which are mainly Derringers and small revolvers. That would be a good excuse to get him to shoot those guns that he probably hasn't shot for years.

(Allegheny County)

If he is having trouble handling recoil in the mags you should look at Trail Boss powder.
    It's made for reduced power loads but it is fluffy and gives good fill in the large cases.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast