Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Re: Help a reloading noob?

Good advice with previous posts.
    I'll put a plug in for Unique. With certain considerations, cast bullets in rifles and the .44 mag, it can load all your calibers. Will not be the best choice in some with other powders you have available but very doable.
    I consider it my SHTF powder when not everything I like is available.
    The advice on WC-846 is spot on and would also mention blue dot here.
    Have not worked with either in quite awhile but there was quite a bit of discussion at one time about blue dot pressures in certain circumstances. Have your feet on the ground and do some homework before using either.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Good advice with previous posts.
    I'll put a plug in for Unique. With certain considerations, cast bullets in rifles and the .44 mag, it can load all your calibers. Will not be the best choice in some with other powders you have available but very doable.
    I consider it my SHTF powder when not everything I like is available.
    The advice on WC-846 is spot on and would also mention blue dot here.
    Have not worked with either in quite awhile but there was quite a bit of discussion at one time about blue dot pressures in certain circumstances. Have your feet on the ground and do some homework before using either.
    I second Unique. I shoot many straightwall cartridges in addition to the venerable 30-30, and use Unique and cast bullets in all of them - 32-20, 38-55, 375 Winchester, 405 Winchester, 444 Marlin, 45-70, and 50-70. For example, I use 10 gr of Unique in the 30-30, 12 gr in the 38-55 and 375 Winchester, and up to 14 gr in the 405, 444, and 45-70, all with cast bullets. The velocities are comparatively slow but still in the 1200 to 1500 fps range, the trajectories are parabolic, but there's little recoil and the accuracy at 100 and even 200 yds is surprisingly good.

No filler is needed, Unique ignites just fine, safely, and consistently with cases like those considerably "underloaded" by volume.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Monroe County)

For sure get a reloading book, then depending on the bullets get their book, I have speer and Nosler books which covers pretty much everything. I'm just getting back into it now after 10 years and will be starting on the 3,000+ rounds of .45 acp brass I've built up. It was less time consuming buying the federal 45's than reloading. Used to do it with my kids, now all married and gone to their careers and familys..

(Berks County)

You put the primer in the bottom then the powder in the top, cap it off with lead, then the thing goes pop.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

For WC846 use BLC2 load data minus 10% to start.

I use it almost exclusively in my m1a and garand

(Susquehanna County)

BE VERY CAREFUL when rolling pistol loads with Blue Dot! Very easy to overcharge even within the bounds of very reliable load data! Be aware also that .357 Magnum loads for a RIFLE are lighter than for revolver! Some .44 Magnum also so if you're loading for rifles in those calibers be sure to use RIFLE data!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Exclamation Re: Help a reloading noob?

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    BE VERY CAREFUL when rolling pistol loads with Blue Dot! Very easy to overcharge even within the bounds of very reliable load data! Be aware also that .357 Magnum loads for a RIFLE are lighter than for revolver! Some .44 Magnum also so if you're loading for rifles in those calibers be sure to use RIFLE data!
    And Blue Dot does NOT like being compressed!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I've got 500 .44 240gr SWC's and a pound of 2400. I'd like to load some .44 mag ammo and get my dad out to the range this weekend. I'm sorting through all of my dad's gear, and I'm scratching my head on this one. For .44 Mag, there's a Lee speed die. But there's also a taper crimp die and a factory crimp die. My dad doesn't remember using either of these crimp dies.

What's the word on speed dies? Do they work well? Would this speed die not crimp as well as one of the crimp dies?

Last edited by scruff; September 1st, 2020 at 11:28 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Today I learned something new. Thanks. I never loaded them for rifles but good to know maybe not to use them in one.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I've got 500 .44 240gr SWC's and a pound of 2400. I'd like to load some .44 mag ammo and get my dad out to the range this weekend. I'm sorting through all of my dad's gear, and I'm scratching my head on this one. For .44 Mag, there's a Lee speed die. But there's also a taper crimp die and a factory crimp die. My dad doesn't remember using either of these crimp dies.

What's the word on speed dies? Do they work well? Would this speed die not crimp as well as one of the crimp dies?

Roll crimp magnums. I would guess factory would be ok. Taper crimp case mouth headspace cartridges and roll crimp heavy recoiling rim headspace cartridges.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast