Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Residency Question While in School

After reaching out to a couple members of this community, it was suggested to me that I post on this forum to get a broader set up opinions.

I have recently moved to Philly in August for a 2 year grad school program. I have a TN DL as well as a TN CCW permit. I also registered to vote in PA, because I would rather vote here than in TN. I was wondering if my TN CCW permit is still valid in Philly, considering I am renting an apartment here for the sole purpose of school as well as the fact that I have registered to vote in the state of PA.

If my registering to vote has put my TN CCW permit at risk, I would much rather de-register in PA and vote absentee in TN.

Here is some additional relevant info for my questions:

I had been working remotely from my parent’s home in TN since the beginning of March (I left NYC when the virus outbreak started). I plan to file taxes in TN, as I was working in TN for 4 of the 6 I was employed this year. I have always maintained my TN driver’s license (even while in NYC), and have recently renewed it to get the Real ID. I will be returning to my parent’s home in TN when school breaks at the end of November and will also not be in PA next summer while working an internship. I would therefore consider my permanent address my parent’s home in TN currently (E.g. I have it registered that way with the school). I do not intend to live in PA after the conclusion of my school program. I do not own a vehicle, so don’t have one registered in TN or PA. I have neither spouse nor children.

I have looked into getting a PA LTCF, but the next appointment time in Philly is June of 2021...

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Residency Question While in School

I believe you are considered a resident in the state you spend the most time in. As long as you are living in Philadelphia for more than 6 months out of the year, I think you would be considered a PA resident.

(Jefferson County)

College students are one of just 2-3 classes(entities) that are actual "dual residents". Your TN permit may be still valid as your TN residency, but PA may still want you to have a PA LTCF. ..yeah, it is a fucky situation considering PA's problem of issuing(specifically Philly and a few other counties).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

If I were in your situation, I'd not carry your student ID while carrying. ....you are just visiting. ...you don't rent/lease a place in PA. ...you still live at your address in TN. (wink) (wink)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

In PA a non-resident can get a license to carry firearms (LTCF (that's what it's called here and some get anal about it)) from any county. Is there any reason he can't just go to Reading airport and get his LTCF based on his TN address? Berks is as easy a county to deal with as it gets.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If I were in your situation, I'd not carry your student ID while carrying. ....you are just visiting. ...you don't rent/lease a place in PA. ...you still live at your address in TN. (wink) (wink)
    I appreciate the insight. Funny that you mention the Student ID... I cannot even get a school ID because campus is shut down due to COVID.

Regarding the voter registration, could you see a situation where a police officer could see that I am registered to vote in PA and that would put my TN CCW permit in jeopardy? I suppose if there are any LEOs on the forum they could address whether or not they have access to that information.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudent View Post
    I appreciate the insight. Funny that you mention the Student ID... I cannot even get a school ID because campus is shut down due to COVID.

Regarding the voter registration, could you see a situation where a police officer could see that I am registered to vote in PA and that would put my TN CCW permit in jeopardy? I suppose if there are any LEOs on the forum they could address whether or not they have access to that information.
    I am neither a lawyer nor a law enforcement officer but I would be more than just shocked if your political affiliation was available to them.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I am neither a lawyer nor a law enforcement officer but I would be more than just shocked if your political affiliation was available to them.
    I tend to agree, a TN DL and TN permit go hand in hand. Considering the onerous requirements of the PPD to get a LTCF, things like a copy of a utility bill or some obscure paperwork proving residency for a decade may not even be available to you.

I would use the dual resident angle with the wink wink noted above. Whatever you do, don't carry on a non-resident LTCF and admit that you live in the commonwealth. We've already seen that shot down in the most convoluted way by the PA supreme court; you don't want to be considered a 'non-person'.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Adams County)

My go-to source for information is handgunlaw.us and according to this: https://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf PA does recognize your TN resident permit. For a bit of extra peace of mind you could get a non-resident PA LTCF at the county of your choice since you do have your TN resident. I believe as long as the addresses match on all your documents you should be OK.
    O(ld) F(at) & U(gly)

(Bucks County)

I think the fact that he registered to vote here is going to screw up any defense starting with *I live in TN and am just visiting*.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast