Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Residency Question While in School

Quote Originally Posted by OF&U View Post
    My go-to source for information is handgunlaw.us and according to this: https://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf PA does recognize your TN resident permit. For a bit of extra peace of mind you could get a non-resident PA LTCF at the county of your choice since you do have your TN resident. I believe as long as the addresses match on all your documents you should be OK.
    I'm in this camp. Drivers license and carry permit from TN is what matters. Seems like you're a resident of TN and should be good. Learn the PA carry laws.

But I also agree, go to whatever county will issue to non residents and pay the $20 for a PA LTCF. As Walleye said, Berks (reading airport) is probably easiest. Good insurance policy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I think the fact that he registered to vote here is going to screw up any defense starting with *I live in TN and am just visiting*.
    Long ago that was the 'trip' for a former manager. He had land in PA and really lived in NJ but purchased his 'resident' PA hunting license and got nailed as a non resident by being registered in NJ to vote.

Bucks does out of state LTCF in Doylestown too.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I think the fact that he registered to vote here is going to screw up any defense starting with *I live in TN and am just visiting*.
    I seriously doubt that matter will come up. Lots of people move to PA and are still registered to vote elsewhere, and vice-versa. And never yet have my voter registration status been a question when I applied for/renewed a LTCF.

I'd make no mention of voter or student status. All the LTCF application needs is his TN address, TN photo ID, and TN permit for non-resident eligibility.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Why on earth would you register to vote here, yet not change anything else? I have no idea if it has any legal weight, but man, that is utterly confusing.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Why on earth would you register to vote here, yet not change anything else? I have no idea if it has any legal weight, but man, that is utterly confusing.
    Probably wanted to exercise his right to vote, without going back to TN for every election.

IMO this is a valid reason for absentee ballots.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Probably wanted to exercise his right to vote, without going back to TN for every election.

Two reasons: PA is more of a swing state, mailed ballots have some distrust at the moment

(Philadelphia County)

First off, thank you to everyone who has responded. Very helpful discussion and I appreciate it.

As Knight mentioned earlier, it seems as though being a student is one of those special categories that dual residency applies to. During my undergrad, I was registered to vote in a different state, but was still considered a TN resident for all other purposes (e.g. in the eyes of LEOs, for in-state vs. out of state tuition, etc.).

PA also states clearly on their voter website that students may register in either state they would like (I.e. their home state or their campus address). Granted, however, they don*t mention how that impacts the question of residency explicitly Link Provided: https://www.votespa.com/Voting-in-PA...e-Student.aspx

I can also just cancel my voter registration here if that helps to cover my ass a little better.

I will look into the non-resident LTCF, but had a quick question: Does the LTCF state which county it was issued in? I wasn*t sure if being in Philadelphia (city of the first class), would cause an extra layer of issue. Clearly Philly makes it difficult for one to get a license.

Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I seriously doubt that matter will come up. Lots of people move to PA and are still registered to vote elsewhere, and vice-versa. And never yet have my voter registration status been a question when I applied for/renewed a LTCF.

I'd make no mention of voter or student status. All the LTCF application needs is his TN address, TN photo ID, and TN permit for non-resident eligibility.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post

Well, yeah... that's what absentee ballots are for. But I guess my point is that he states that he has no intention to stay here, and plans on going back to TN at least for some duration, so why would you vote here if you don't plan on staying?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Well, yeah... that's what absentee ballots are for. But I guess my point is that he states that he has no intention to stay here, and plans on going back to TN at least for some duration, so why would you vote here if you don't plan on staying?
    Don't scare him off, I think he'll help us out!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Don't scare him off, I think he'll help us out!
    Exactly. I have gone from growing up in a very red state, working in a very blue state, and now in school in a purple state during an important election. I would like to help if I can, but this whole residency issue with my CCW permit is a tricky one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast