Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Erie County)

Default Re: 302 Moving To Another State Legality?

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    A 302 in any state prohibits you in every state. If you go through the process of getting it removed then it's removed from your record for the state. Since that record is only at the state level and now removed then you'd be free to buy in the state it happened or if you move to another state in the future.
    I researched it further, and don't think that's correct. The below is from an Eastern District Court of PA ruling

"The interesting implications are how these commitments will be handled by other states since it has been held that a Section 302 commitment is not sufficient under the federal law. If an individual who has been committed pursuant to Section 302 moves to another state, the individual*s ability to possess a firearm will be subject solely to that state*s firearms laws since the federal law does not prohibit ownership."

(Erie County)

UPDATE:

I received my paperwork from the hospital and there was not a single mention of a 302 in it, despite the hospital telling my mother she couldn't take me home because they "already 302'd me". After failing to get in touch with my local MH/ID facility for any 302 records to my name, I contacted the local sheriff's office and explained how I hit a dead end. They said they understood and to come in, apply for a LTCF, and if I were to be denied by the PICS they wouldn't charge me. Last Thursday I went in and was approved instantly when the background check was run. After receiving some of the best news of my life, I was handed my LTCF and sent on my way. Yesterday I just purchased my first rifle (PSAK GF3) and just have to wait for it to ship.

Despite considering myself incredibly lucky, it's pretty disturbing how a mental health facility will keep someone who went in voluntarily from leaving by lying that they put them down as a 302. I'm just really happy they never filed any paperwork. I sincerely hope anybody else who is going through a similar situation can get it resolved and become a lawful gun owner.

Nobody should be judged for the rest of their life and have their rights taken away forever because they went through a difficult time in their life.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ME16510 View Post
    UPDATE:

I received my paperwork from the hospital and there was not a single mention of a 302 in it, despite the hospital telling my mother she couldn't take me home because they "already 302'd me". After failing to get in touch with my local MH/ID facility for any 302 records to my name, I contacted the local sheriff's office and explained how I hit a dead end. They said they understood and to come in, apply for a LTCF, and if I were to be denied by the PICS they wouldn't charge me. Last Thursday I went in and was approved instantly when the background check was run. After receiving some of the best news of my life, I was handed my LTCF and sent on my way. Yesterday I just purchased my first rifle (PSAK GF3) and just have to wait for it to ship.

Despite considering myself incredibly lucky, it's pretty disturbing how a mental health facility will keep someone who went in voluntarily from leaving by lying that they put them down as a 302. I'm just really happy they never filed any paperwork. I sincerely hope anybody else who is going through a similar situation can get it resolved and become a lawful gun owner.

Nobody should be judged for the rest of their life and have their rights taken away forever because they went through a difficult time in their life.
    Congratulations and enjoy your new freedom.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Congratulations and enjoy your new freedom.
    Thank you. This whole situation gave me an incredible appreciation for my 2nd amendment rights that I'll make sure to never take for granted.

UPDATE:

Indeed congrats. The entire ordeal is unconstitutional, so I consider it null and void. Fortunately you dont have to jump through hoops- and you've got an AK before the election is decided

(Westmoreland County)

Thank you. This whole situation gave me an incredible appreciation for my 2nd amendment rights that I'll make sure to never take for granted.
    We're you able to fix your situation with the 302?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Monie5115 View Post
    We're you able to fix your situation with the 302?
    The OP hasn't been here in a while...
    August 18th, 2020 Last Activity November 11th, 2020 02:24 PM
    You should go back and read post #22.
    It is probably the best answer you are going to get.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123