Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default PA Parole Agent carrying under LEOSA?

I'm reading the LEOSA right now and it appears that Parole Agents would be covered (although their arrest powers are limited to individuals who are on parole in the state). I found a couple other threads on PAFOA discussing this very topic but there was a lot of arguing and I couldn't get a concise answer (that's the internet for you). So is there any evidence (case law, advice from a lawyer, letter from a government official, etc.) that a PA Parole Agent would be eligible to carry under LEOSA? I'm guessing such evidence probably doesn't exist so the second best thing would be some insight from some of the legal eagles on this site LOL. Thank you.
    Last edited by uniballin; August 18th, 2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

Default Re: PA Parole Agent carrying under LEOSA?

In most states Parole/Probation officers can make arrests which qualifies them for Hr218.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Chester County)

In PA, they are covered.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Yep. A friend of mine is a probation officer in the lehigh valley and is covered.

(Northampton County)

Cool. Thanks everyone. I guess the way I was reading the law, it was semi ambiguous but I was overthinking the wording:

...is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of
    any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;
    So the word 'any' is what initially threw me off. I was thinking, "does it mean that you must have the ability to arrest ANYONE who breaks the law (ie. cops)? Or just having the ability to arrest anyone under certain circumstances (ie. parole violators) count?" But from my research, it points to the later. For example, if there was an agency that's only arresting power was to arrest people who wore blue shirts on Thursdays, they would be covered as well. Just any form of arrest power no matter how narrow seems to qualify you as long as you meet all the other conditions.
    Last edited by uniballin; August 19th, 2020 at 02:52 AM.

(Montgomery County)

If you are active duty and plan to carry out of state under LEOSA, you should get certified and carry the PA issued LEOSA credentials.
    If you are retired you must get certified and credentialed to be covered under LEOSA.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If you are active duty and plan to carry out of state under LEOSA, you should get certified and carry the PA issued LEOSA credentials.
    If you are retired you must get certified and credentialed to be covered under LEOSA.
    ^^^ This!
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    There are no LEOSA credentials for active duty LEO's. You must be qualified. Either you are qualified as per LEOSA or you're not.

Qualified as per LEOSA;
    (c) As used in this section, the term "qualified law enforcement officer" means an employee of a governmental agency who--

(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);

(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;

(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

Thus, if you are active duty and meet the "qualified LEO" standard, all you need is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed that identifies the employee as a police officer or law enforcement officer of the agency.

In plainer English, your active duty....meet the standard, all you need is your ID from your department. There are no LEOSA credentials for active duty.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

In plainer English, your active duty....meet the standard, all you need is your ID from your department. There are no LEOSA credentials for active duty.
    This is what I gathered as well. You only need to get certified if you are retired.