Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Rechargeable desicant. Anybody use it

I have been looking at these also, I have been just grabbing packs from products we unpack at work , write the date on them and toss after a year. On E-Bay I am seeing the packs from .5 gram to 5 grams and up, none of these that I have briefly looked at mention drying capacity. generally a 30 caliber size can ~228 cubic inch capacity and a .50 caliber size ~ 668 cubic inch capacity, what will be a good size packet to adequately dry one with out overkill due to volume

(Allegheny County)

Following this one. I've just been using the little packs that come bagged with random items.

(Chester County)

Product I bought was from WISEDRY through Amazon. They have many different sizes and reviews are mostly good except for people that melted them in the microwave.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sblzrd65 View Post
    Following this one. I've just been using the little packs that come bagged with random items.
    Most of those small bags that come packed in things are for very small sealed spaces and can usually only bring the humidity down to 40% within that sealed environment. Not saying they are bad, just hard to calculate the effectiveness in an unsealed environment that is being subjected to outside additional humidity.
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks_Man View Post
    Most of those small bags that come packed in things are for very small sealed spaces and can usually only bring the humidity down to 40% within that sealed environment. Not saying they are bad, just hard to calculate the effectiveness in an unsealed environment that is being subjected to outside additional humidity.
    It also helps to monitor the environment.

Sonoff.JPG

This is done with a hacked Sonoff device with the Temp/Humidity sensor attached. It turns on a "goldenrod" inside the cabinet when the humidity gets too high. There's also desiccant packs inside, that at this point probably need to be dried out.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Sonoff.JPG

This is done with a hacked Sonoff device with the Temp/Humidity sensor attached. It turns on a "goldenrod" inside the cabinet when the humidity gets too high. There's also desiccant packs inside, that at this point probably need to be dried out.
    Relative humidity is well......relative. Goldenrod "dehumidifiers" are just heaters. They do not remove any moisture in the air. But with relative humidity as temperatures go up the relative humidity goes down (even though the same amount of water is still there). Where goldenrod "heaters" works best is in the spring. Your basement and safe are cold and when you open the safe all of the warmer humid air gets inside and condenses on your firearms. this is when rust happens. Having the safe contents a few degrees higher prevents this.

(Centre County)

I've got desiccant packs (about a pound in each pack) that I got when in the USAF (electronic equipment was packed with them when shipped during a deployment, etc.) I bake them in the oven when the indicator says they are close to being saturated. The indicator goes from blue to pink when done. I've had/used these for over 20 years now and although they get saturated a bit quicker now, they still work. That said I have a fairly dry area where my safes and reloading equipment is (never seems to get about 60% year round) and with the pacs in place the safes and such stay at about 35-40%. Have never had any rust/corrosion problems.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Sonoff.JPG

Nice setup!
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Blair County)

I have used quite a lot of desiccant, something like a Ton (2000 lbs +/-) and have gone thru the wet-dry cycle about 1 million times and while I have replaced valves and instrumentation a few times I have not replaced desiccant once. It is used in two vessels to remove water from air prior to using the air to generate Ozone. The oil-less compressors are 100-200 Hp per installation, and the Ozone is used in pre-treatment of water prior to filtration. Only one tank at a time is used in the removal cycle while the other is being regenerated. Seven plants total, fourteen tanks, smallest is about as big in diameter and twice as tall as a 30 gallon home LPG tank and the largest maybe 5 times as big. Now, after 30-35 years each installation is being scheduled for renovation.
    Steve

(Berks County)

Put them in a sealed jar to cool off so they don't suck up water as they cool.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast