Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Have you ever seen anything like this?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I must have been lucky, I have had a S&W Super 1000 for decades without a problem. The Mossberg 930 that I had, on the other hand, gave me no end of trouble. I did manage to get it to work somewhat reliably by replacing the shell stop - then I sold it before it could develop more problems. I'm looking for a reliable semi-auto 12 GA for trap, but if you want wood stocks, the LOP is usually too long for me. I hate to saw good wood.
    I bought my S&W used and it was the Skeet model so it probably has the crap shot out of it before I got it. After I got it fixed I sold it to a co-worker who used to have one when he hunted with his Father. The first time out with the gun he shot a cockbird for the first time in over twenty years over my dog and he had a smile on his face until we went our separate ways home that day. It still works flawlessly to this very day. One oddly shaped spring and hairpin clip was all it took.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    ...Is the follower or the forend retainer an aftermarket part? That's where I'd focus my attention.
    My spidey sense is tingling.

(Chester County)

I think the follower is the main culprit to the problem MLS is experiencing but I believe an upgrade to the forend retainer may help with the functionality and reliability as it is demonstrated in this video.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

The 930 is Mossberg's problem child. They brought out a 3-Gun version (the JM model) that spawned a market for replacement parts. If you really like the 930, check out these guys. They have the parts to make it run reliability. http://www.or3gun.com/index.htm
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Could be whatever is activating the shell stops is out of spec and screwing up the timing? I'm not familiar with semi shotguns. I guess they don't use action bars to work the shell stops like a pump gun. Their function has to be timed properly so one stop releases the shell and the other catches it or you get things like this. Cycle the action slowly by hand and see how the shell stops are catching the shell in time.

If the pitcher and the catcher don't work together, you get a pretty crappy baseball game.
    AK-47s for EVERYONE!!!

(Beaver County)

I gave it away with a disclosure of what was wrong so if the new owner can fix it, good for them. If they took my advice though, it's heading back to mossberg.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12