Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Pistol transfer question

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Maybe the cop was a dick. That would be a shocker. This guy is as straight laced as they come. I really just need to know if he can drive his legally purchased handguns to PA and transfer them to his father at an FFL. He's not trying to do anything shady or break the law. If it comes to it he will call the police, tell them what happened and turn in his pistols. No way in hell I would do that.
    Definitely a terrible idea, legally and practically. I'd pony up the cash and speak with a lawyer way before that. And I'd speak with a competent FFL before that (obviously Xring has already chimed in).

The only, possibly illegal, ideas I can come up with are:

1) Sell everything to a local FFL in NY. Take what cash he can get and give it to his Dad.
    2) Drive down to a FFL in PA and meet his Dad to transfer everything back (one thing I do know for sure is any transfer back to the Dad has to happen in PA).
    3) Ship everything to a FFL in PA so his Dad can pick them up (would have to check they accept shipments from non-FFLs).

and now for the really clean but dirty and who-knows-how-illegal idea:
    4) check tail lights, don't speed, and lock everything in a trunk and get them back to PA in his Dad's hands like they never left...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Thanks, but since noone died in the op that's not applicable here.
    The situation the OP posted is irrelevant to your incorrect statement. You said "Anytime", which is not the case.

Future readers should be aware of the distinction, and posters should not use absolutes when they don't apply.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Mifflin County)

Maybe the cop was a dick. That would be a shocker. This guy is as straight laced as they come. I really just need to know if he can drive his legally purchased handguns to PA and transfer them to his father at an FFL. He's not trying to do anything shady or break the law. If it comes to it he will call the police, tell them what happened and turn in his pistols. No way in hell I would do that.
    If he was speeding ,. he was not "straight laced " as you say . This man brought grief upon himself .

(Monroe County)

Is the Dad an PA Resident?

I would do the transfers.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    If he was speeding ,. he was not "straight laced " as you say . This man brought grief upon himself .
    Really?

5mph over speed limit possessing guns legally purchased by his father and now he's not straight laced? Maybe it's our extremely complex set of state and federal gun laws that aren't straight laced.

In NY , they will take your LTCF for smiling on a cloudy day!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Really?

5mph over speed limit possessing guns legally purchased by his father and now he's not straight laced? Maybe it's our extremely complex set of state and federal gun laws that aren't straight laced.
    Something's not passing the smell test. 5 over is not enough to get pulled over, ask UJ.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

One of my friends has a weird situation. He lives in NY and has a pistol permit. His father gave him some guns and he was bringing them back to NY. He got pulled over in PA for speeding. Cop sent him on his way. What he didn't know was the cop contacted NY and NY revoked his pistol permit and never told him. Six years later he tried to purchase a handgun and found out his permit was revoked. So now he has several handguns and no pistol permit. He's not a prohibited person, he just had his pistol permit revoked.

Does anyone know of a way he could transfer his handguns to someone at an FFL? I know this is a NY question but he doesn't trust asking the police and I don't blame him. Ideally he wants to transfer his guns to his father in PA. Would it be illegal to drive the guns to PA and transfer them at an FFL? Does he even have to bother with a transfer since it's his father?
    He's screwed, any way you look at it. He illegally obtained the guns from his father, because parent to child transfers must go through a FFL. This is why he lost his pistol permit. He is in illegal posession of the firearms, because he does not have a pistol permit, and because he obtained them illegally. And his father probably also may become prohibited because he illegally transferred firearms to his son. The way it should have been done was at a FFL in NY. How does he even drive to PA with the guns, since he owns them illegally. IANAL, but I suggest he should contact one, and not drive with them to PA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Something's not passing the smell test. 5 over is not enough to get pulled over, ask UJ.
    That's if they're using a speed measuring tool I believe. If they pace you, they can get you for even 1 over, if I'm not mistaken.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Really?

They were illegally transferred from his father. Perhaps he told the officer that fact. Like when he asked him what he was doing in PA?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast