Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Pistol transfer question

One of my friends has a weird situation. He lives in NY and has a pistol permit. His father gave him some guns and he was bringing them back to NY. He got pulled over in PA for speeding. Cop sent him on his way. What he didn't know was the cop contacted NY and NY revoked his pistol permit and never told him. Six years later he tried to purchase a handgun and found out his permit was revoked. So now he has several handguns and no pistol permit. He's not a prohibited person, he just had his pistol permit revoked.

Does anyone know of a way he could transfer his handguns to someone at an FFL? I know this is a NY question but he doesn't trust asking the police and I don't blame him. Ideally he wants to transfer his guns to his father in PA. Would it be illegal to drive the guns to PA and transfer them at an FFL? Does he even have to bother with a transfer since it's his father?

Default Re: Pistol transfer question

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    One of my friends has a weird situation. He lives in NY and has a pistol permit. His father gave him some guns and he was bringing them back to NY. He got pulled over in PA for speeding. Cop sent him on his way. What he didn't know was the cop contacted NY and NY revoked his pistol permit and never told him. Six years later he tried to purchase a handgun and found out his permit was revoked. So now he has several handguns and no pistol permit. He's not a prohibited person, he just had his pistol permit revoked.

Does anyone know of a way he could transfer his handguns to someone at an FFL? I know this is a NY question but he doesn't trust asking the police and I don't blame him. Ideally he wants to transfer his guns to his father in PA. Would it be illegal to drive the guns to PA and transfer them at an FFL? Does he even have to bother with a transfer since it's his father?
    Anytime guns change hands across state lines they need transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Does he even have to bother with a transfer since it's his father?
    This is the only part I feel comfortable answering. Legally a transfer is needed. The father-son statute applies only if they are both Pa residents.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Is it legal tor drive the guns across state lines to a PA FFL and transfer them or do they have to be shipped from one FFL to another even if it's your father? Both people are legally allowed to own firearms. He's just worried about taking the guns to a NY FFL with a revoked pistol permit.

(Chester County)

Just out of curiosity, why would speeding in PA result in a NY revoked pistol permit? What did your friend say to the cop to get him sufficiently motivated to call NY? That all seems really strange! Not questioning it happened. Just wondering what went down.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why would speeding in PA result in a NY revoked pistol permit? What did your friend say to the cop to get him sufficiently motivated to call NY? That all seems really strange! Not questioning it happened. Just wondering what went down.
    I was wondering about that too...I smell 'more to the story'.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Centre County)

If he can find a FFL in PA who will accept the handguns from him to do the transfer then he can deliver the handguns to the FFL himself. There is no law that says the handguns must shipped via commercial means (UPS, FedEx, USPS, other commercial carrier).

If he was living/resident in NY when his dad gave him the guns, his dad broke the law about transferring the handguns. If the son knew they had to be transferred then he is an accessory to the crime. It is possible that the PA LEO saw the guns and your friend talked too much. So the PA LEO alerted NY. He's probably lucky that NY didn't arrest him. Hmm, something doesn't sound right but I suppose it may be because of where he lives in NY. I think he needs to talk to a good gun lawyer in NY to see what is going on about the permit revocation. How did he learn it was revoked, typically some type of letter/notification is sent.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    False.

Intestate successions/bequests can be done across state lines (legally) with no FFL involvement. Obviously, the recipient must be legally permitted to possess them.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    False.

Intestate successions/bequests can be done across state lines (legally) with no FFL involvement. Obviously, the recipient must be legally permitted to possess them.
    Thanks, but since noone died in the op that's not applicable here.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Maybe the cop was a dick. That would be a shocker. This guy is as straight laced as they come. I really just need to know if he can drive his legally purchased handguns to PA and transfer them to his father at an FFL. He's not trying to do anything shady or break the law. If it comes to it he will call the police, tell them what happened and turn in his pistols. No way in hell I would do that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast