Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Pistol transfer question

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    It is such a bunch of bullshit that you can't just give your guns to your kids when you both can legally own firearms.

I'm going to have a situation like this in the next few months. My son is getting out of the military and is moving to Texas. I have a handgun and two rifles that are in my name that I want to give to him. My plan was to transfer them to him at a PA FFL when he stopped by on the way to Texas. I'm not sure what state he is a resident of. He was stationed in Texas then NY. From what everyone is saying it looks like I need to ship them from an FFL in PA to one in TX.

Yes, these are two different situations. I'm not my "friend". Anyone chiming it with that can fuck off.
    Nice attitude.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Nice attitude.
    You especially.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    It is such a bunch of bullshit that you can't just give your guns to your kids when you both can legally own firearms.

I'm going to have a situation like this in the next few months. My son is getting out of the military and is moving to Texas. I have a handgun and two rifles that are in my name that I want to give to him. My plan was to transfer them to him at a PA FFL when he stopped by on the way to Texas. I'm not sure what state he is a resident of. He was stationed in Texas then NY. From what everyone is saying it looks like I need to ship them from an FFL in PA to one in TX.

Yes, these are two different situations. I'm not my "friend". Anyone chiming it with that can fuck off.
    As military, his actual physical location does not necessarily make him a "resident" of that state. Is it possible that PA is still considered his "state of legal residence"? If so, your intentions would appear to be legal, and could possible be done directly, without any FFL involvement if you wish.

Where is he registered to vote?
    What state does he pay state income tax to?
    What DL does he hold?
    What state are his vehicles registered in?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    As military, his actual physical location does not necessarily make him a "resident" of that state. Is it possible that PA is still considered his "state of legal residence"? If so, your intentions would appear to be legal, and could possible be done directly, without any FFL involvement if you wish.

Where is he registered to vote?
    What state does he pay state income tax to?
    What DL does he hold?
    What state are his vehicles registered in?
    Thanks. I will check and make sure. I don't want him to have any problems. I'm most likely going to send them to an FFL in Texas.

(Centre County)

Since you are a PA resident, even if he isn't a PA resident, you can transfer the long arms to him at a PA FFL. The long arms can be bought/transferred in the sellers state or the buyers state as long as they are legal in the state the buyer/transferee resides in. The only time a firearm has to be transferred in the buyers state of residence is if it is a handgun (in this case the handgun you want him to have) or if the firearms are being shipped across state lines to a buyer. As stated, a military person can be assigned to a post/base anywhere and not give up his "home of record". A military member is actually considered a dual state resident when assigned to an installation different from what his drivers license, etc. says. If his "home of record" is still PA and he has his PA DL, you are good to go with a paperless transfer or you can have it "papered" at a local FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Erie County)

Wait until you find out what his military records have listed as his address. If it's PA, no problems. Give him everything when he visits, no problems.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234