Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Pistol transfer question

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Something's not passing the smell test. 5 over is not enough to get pulled over, ask UJ.
    I was just spitballing in reference to someone saying that speeding is enough to get you out of the straight laced category.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    That's if they're using a speed measuring tool I believe. If they pace you, they can get you for even 1 over, if I'm not mistaken.
    You could be right on that. However, I've driven a lot of miles and been pulled over for speeding more times than I can remember and never got pulled over for 5 over. There has to be more to the story.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    If he was speeding ,. he was not "straight laced " as you say . This man brought grief upon himself .
    Really???? They probably should have drug him out of the car and kneeled on his throat for ten minutes. You are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    He's screwed, any way you look at it. He illegally obtained the guns from his father, because parent to child transfers must go through a FFL. This is why he lost his pistol permit. He is in illegal posession of the firearms, because he does not have a pistol permit, and because he obtained them illegally. And his father probably also may become prohibited because he illegally transferred firearms to his son. The way it should have been done was at a FFL in NY. How does he even drive to PA with the guns, since he owns them illegally. IANAL, but I suggest he should contact one, and not drive with them to PA.
    Just to clarify, the guns from his father were long guns. The pistols are all his, purchased in NY and are listed on his now revoked pistol permit. He wants to transfer his pistols to his father so he doesn't lose them. He will then re-apply for his NY pistol permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You could be right on that. However, I've driven a lot of miles and been pulled over for speeding more times than I can remember and never got pulled over for 5 over. There has to be more to the story.
    I have no idea how fast he was going.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    False.

Intestate successions/bequests can be done across state lines (legally) with no FFL involvement. Obviously, the recipient must be legally permitted to possess them.
    It also requires someone to die.

A state then can require a FFL transfer even if the fedz do not. Which may include waiting period, registry(NY, CA, HI, etc), and other licensing requirements(NY for mere possession).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Just to clarify, the guns from his father were long guns. The pistols are all his, purchased in NY and are listed on his now revoked pistol permit. He wants to transfer his pistols to his father so he doesn't lose them. He will then re-apply for his NY pistol permit.
    Both, father and son, violated federal law.

The police officer that stopped the son doubtfully knew that, or the true ownership of the guns. That officer gets douchebag points for contacting NY about the situation.

The son will need to have the handguns shipped/delivered to a FFL in PA for the father to take ownership of. The long guns, the father could go to NY to have them transferred at a FFL in NY. But who knows what kind of F'd up process that could be in NY. Might as well do the same with long guns as what is required with the handguns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Really???? They probably should have drug him out of the car and kneeled on his throat for ten minutes. You are ridiculous.
    No, you are ridiculous , guy is doing something shady, so you sure don't speed and draw attention to yourself .

(Centre County)

A lot came out in this thread since the initial posting.

One, a parent to child transfer of firearms (other than NFA firearms) without doing a paper transfer is perfectly legal AS LONG AS both parties reside in the same state (if the state allows it, PA of course does). In this case, they both did not live in PA so the giving/gifting of the long guns from father to son was an illegal transfer.

The son CAN self deliver his firearms to a FFL in PA to transfer them properly to his father, long guns and handguns alike (if the receiving FFL will receive out of state firearms from a non FFL). Might it be better to have a NY FFL ship them? Maybe, just in case he is stopped on his way to PA with all the guns in his car. Again, remember, don't talk to the police if you don't have to, don't try to explain the situation to the police you'll only screw it and yourself up even more.

Transferring all his handguns to his father until he gets his NY permit straightened out is probably not a bad idea. That said, he could also store the handguns at his dad's place in a locked safe/container that only he has the key/combo and dad had no access to them.

Since he has the incorrectly transferred long arms in his possession, it might cost him some money but doing a correct transfer back to his dad and then now/later dad transfer back to him correctly is the safest way to go. The transferring FFL might have some other suggestions but think them though carefully before choosing what to do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

It is such a bunch of bullshit that you can't just give your guns to your kids when you both can legally own firearms.

I'm going to have a situation like this in the next few months. My son is getting out of the military and is moving to Texas. I have a handgun and two rifles that are in my name that I want to give to him. My plan was to transfer them to him at a PA FFL when he stopped by on the way to Texas. I'm not sure what state he is a resident of. He was stationed in Texas then NY. From what everyone is saying it looks like I need to ship them from an FFL in PA to one in TX.

Yes, these are two different situations. I'm not my "friend". Anyone chiming it with that can fuck off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast