Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 garbage trigger, what to do?

I used the Kidd Trigger Job Kit, now selling for $105 on their website.

It was easy to install, no fitting required. It’s an excellent, crisp trigger. I put it on an LVT. Fantastic gun and trigger.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Then there is a Volquartsen HP Action Kit Plus which is around $140 and makes the trigger break at 2-2.5 pounds. It means disassembling the trigger pack and rebuilding it with the new parts. That doesn't scare me too much and I would love to hear from someone that has done it.

And then there's the devil on shoulder screaming for me to clean it up myself. There are videos on what to do and I'm not a reckless sort when it comes to such work. The downside is that the best that can be achieved is getting it down to 4.5 pounds and smoothing it out. I hate doing all that just to be dissatisfied.

Lastly, instead of rebuilding it to make it nice, suggestions on some used semi-auto .22s that are already where they need to be. If I recall correctly, the TC .22 semi-auto was a very nice rifle.
    A few points now that i have a bit more time. The trigger assembly is very easy to disassemble with not much more than a punch and maybe tweezers to move some springs around. The only part that is in danger of being lost is the ball for the safety detent. You shouldn't be anywhere near that when doing your upgrade.

Once you see how the parts of the trigger pack go together, you'll see that it is very easy to take apart and put back together. Plenty of online resources.

Should you choose to go this route, do yourself a favor and install the bolt auto release if you haven't already.

If you don't know what you are doing, I'd avoid "fixing" it yourself. You may damage hardened surfaces and with no way to know how deep the hardening is, i wouldn't risk it on a critical part. Especially with all of the (relatively) affordable options.

With regard to your last point, do you trade and sell guns often? If so, don't bother upgrading. You'll just take a loss. It always amazes me how many used guns i see with optics and mounts and other upgrades that people were too lazy to return to factory stock.

One of the things that makes the 10/22 so great is that there is a near infinite aftermarket. I have more into my 10/22 than the gun cost initially. Most 10/22 owners have the same story. Trigger, stock, sights and you are already at or above the cost of most low end 10/22s.

If you like to tweak and play with things, it is a great rifle. Are there better semi automatic 22s? Sure. But the base models generally cost more. It is a question of if you want to spend the money up front all at once or spread out over time.

If you just want to shoot a factory configuration, buy a different rifle.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I have an older Volquartsen kit, and it's an excellent trigger.

I haven't been messing with the 10/22s lately, but I remember Swampfox having a very affordable upgraded trigger available.

Randy at CPC will also hook your trigger up for below $100. He also has other services available, and a stellar reputation.

Rimfirecentral.com is the source for more 10/22 info than you could read in a few years.

(Elk County)

I've lost count of the number of 10/22 trigger groups that I've smoothed up myself with great results. As Zach posted, the TG is extremely easy to disassemble, and there are videos galore on what to do on the interwebz. By simply polishing the contact surfaces one can eliminate most if not all of the creep and lighten the pull, providing a consistent, near glass-rod break. My Lyman trigger pull gauge has indicated between 3.4 and 4.0 lb after the work. That's just fine for a plinking or varmint gun, IMO. If you're the least bit mechanically inclined and have the tools and abrasive media, you can do it.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Think the 10/22 trigger assy is very similar to the PCC and with a bit of polishing the rough edges and components I got my PC 40 from 6lb to 4lb like Noah said. 1000 grit and then some Flitz or Semichrome with felt dremel bit.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I'm trying to keep it at a price point where buying a new rifle isn't a better deal. That's why the Volquartsen parts are appealing. So $150 give or take.
    Having owned both, the KIDD single stage trigger pack is better than the Volquartsen in every way, IMO. The KIDD trigger parts kit is worth the money if you don't want to buy the whole trigger pack (get the Auto Blot Release). The only caveat is KIDD does not recommend using the parts kit in a metal trigger housing. Doing so could cause your 10/22 to double or triple.

I found that out when I installed the kit in my wife's 10/22 which had a metal trigger housing. Called for support and Tony Kidd answered the phone and set me straight. I put the trigger kit in another 10/22 and bought the trigger pack for my wife's rifle. I couldn't be happier with either one.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Having owned both, the KIDD single stage trigger pack is better than the Volquartsen in every way, IMO. The KIDD trigger parts kit is worth the money if you don't want to buy the whole trigger pack (get the Auto Blot Release). The only caveat is KIDD does not recommend using the parts kit in a metal trigger housing. Doing so could cause your 10/22 to double or triple.

I found that out when I installed the kit in my wife's 10/22 which had a metal trigger housing. Called for support and Tony Kidd answered the phone and set me straight. I put the trigger kit in another 10/22 and bought the trigger pack for my wife's rifle. I couldn't be happier with either one.
    That is interesting because the kidd trigger assembly comes in a metal housing. I'm aware that the dimensions aren't quite the same as the factory housing though.

-Zach

(Chester County)

Back in the mid 90's I put one of these in my 10/22. I replaced everything on that gun to the point where the receiver and bolt were all that remained original.

https://hawktecharms.com/power-custo...e-trigger-kit/
    Last edited by Pilot321; August 14th, 2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    That is interesting because the kidd trigger assembly comes in a metal housing. I'm aware that the dimensions aren't quite the same as the factory housing though.

-Zach
    KIDD has their housings made to spec for their parts. The factory housings have too many variables and KIDD's parts don't always line up well.

(Perry County)

Great info so far. I looked at both the Kidd and the Volquartsen extensively last night. Watched a lot of videos, it definitely looks to be easy work regardless.

First thing I'm going to do is smooth and polish the hammer/sear contact points just to see what I can achieve. I was reading the Ruger forums and Brimstone gunsmithing is doing nice business just working over the factory hammer and sear.

I like the Kidd kit and I'll do that if I can't achieve what I want. The housing on the project gun is metal but I have two more 10/22 plinkers that can donate a plastic housing if necessary.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast