Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Long Range 30-06 setups

Just about finished with my long range 30-06 setup on the cheap. Base rifle is an older flat top Savage 112 FVSS. Stock is a Boyd's pro-varmint , Scope is a Tasco World Class P.L.U.S. 10-40 with an EGW base. Bipod is a Harris swivel with hawk hill custom feet.

I'm still waiting on pillars so I can install them, bed the stock, and verify the barrel and action tang are properly floated.

Can't wait to see what this thing will do. I'd love to see some of your setups!

IMG_20200810_170024.jpg

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Long Range 30-06 setups

Quote Originally Posted by brinker88 View Post
    Just about finished with my long range 30-06 setup on the cheap. Base rifle is an older flat top Savage 112 FVSS. Stock is a Boyd's pro-varmint , Scope is a Tasco World Class P.L.U.S. 10-40 with an EGW base. Bipod is a Harris swivel with hawk hill custom feet.

I'm still waiting on pillars so I can install them, bed the stock, and verify the barrel and action tang are properly floated.

Can't wait to see what this thing will do. I'd love to see some of your setups!
    Heading out to Portland, Seattle?

(Delaware County)

Have a good friend who had a 30-06 built into a long range setup. First thing he did was swap the barrel out to 6mm-06 Wildcat,

Good looking rig.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Lancaster County)

This is all I got...

20170618_145140.jpg

And that is a 100 yard group, my club goes out to 400yd and if I lay off the coffee, I can still manage to keep the shots on the cardboard at 300-400 shooting prone or sitting with tight sling

Ill try to get some pics of my Model 70 Super Grade posted, shes a safe queen and doesn't get out much

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    This is all I got...

20170618_145140.jpg

And that is a 100 yard group, my club goes out to 400yd and if I lay off the coffee, I can still manage to keep the shots on the cardboard at 300-400 shooting prone or sitting with tight sling

Ill try to get some pics of my Model 70 Super Grade posted, shes a safe queen and doesn't get out much
    I wish my M1 held twice the size of that group. I'm lucky if I can keep most of my shots on a paper plate at 100.

(Lackawanna County)

Don’t see much 30 06 anymore. Cool to see something a bit different

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I wish my M1 held twice the size of that group. I'm lucky if I can keep most of my shots on a paper plate at 100.
    This rifle is a labor of love, I had a Garand years ago and went down the wormhole of "original" stampings and markings ect... shot like a turd. picked this one up as a trade for a fairly nice Century FAL. It was nearly in the white with no finish, the barrel swallowed throat and muzzle gauges (although it still shot not too bad !) and a stock that wouldn't even make good fire wood
    I stumbled across the Boyd Laminate stock on Gun Broker then sent the barreled action to Tim Schuff in Arizona http://shuffsparkerizing.com/ and had him install a Criterion match barrel, inspect ,gauge and replace any worn components and a fresh parkerize finish

while Garand purist will call blasphemy, I dont give a shit. All's I wanted is a pretty Garand that shoots great and I now have it. And to make things even better by the numbers on the receiver it was made in early June 1944. My youngest daughter was born on June 6th (B-Day on D-Day) 2007 about the time this rifle turned 70 my daughter turned 7, I gave it too her for her birthday present shes 13 now and will be shooting soon for the first time. then I guess Ill have to start looking for another, probably a Schuff's Mini G in .308

(Delaware County)

It is quite a nice looking piece. I don*t think there is anything wrong with what you did. Shows a fondness for the rifle & history surrounding it.

Although I do question your wanting an M1 *Tanker* Garand? And in 308 no less? I get wanting a Garand. I did when I was a young boy. I soon realized I am no collector.

Don*t get me wrong....Everyone should be applauded for their personal choices. My questioning is absolutely sincere. I simply can not figure out what, if any qualities a shorter barreled, 8 shot semi automatic 308 would possibly possess? Why not an M1A Socom? Higher round count, and considerable cost savings....not to mention likely better accuracy.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    This rifle is a labor of love, I had a Garand years ago and went down the wormhole of "original" stampings and markings ect... shot like a turd. picked this one up as a trade for a fairly nice Century FAL. It was nearly in the white with no finish, the barrel swallowed throat and muzzle gauges (although it still shot not too bad !) and a stock that wouldn't even make good fire wood
    I stumbled across the Boyd Laminate stock on Gun Broker then sent the barreled action to Tim Schuff in Arizona http://shuffsparkerizing.com/ and had him install a Criterion match barrel, inspect ,gauge and replace any worn components and a fresh parkerize finish

while Garand purist will call blasphemy, I dont give a shit. All's I wanted is a pretty Garand that shoots great and I now have it. And to make things even better by the numbers on the receiver it was made in early June 1944. My youngest daughter was born on June 6th (B-Day on D-Day) 2007 about the time this rifle turned 70 my daughter turned 7, I gave it too her for her birthday present shes 13 now and will be shooting soon for the first time. then I guess Ill have to start looking for another, probably a Schuff's Mini G in .308
    Nice rifle and story. Mine is an all matching Springfield. My problem is obviously the stock. Poor lock up and a host of other issues.

A mini g in that laminate stock would be a bad ass little rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    It is quite a nice looking piece. I don*t think there is anything wrong with what you did. Shows a fondness for the rifle & history surrounding it.

Although I do question your wanting an M1 *Tanker* Garand? And in 308 no less? I get wanting a Garand. I did when I was a young boy. I soon realized I am no collector.

Don*t get me wrong....Everyone should be applauded for their personal choices. My questioning is absolutely sincere. I simply can not figure out what, if any qualities a shorter barreled, 8 shot semi automatic 308 would possibly possess? Why not an M1A Socom? Higher round count, and considerable cost savings....not to mention likely better accuracy.
    When you get used to the enblocs the magazine advantage fades from your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast