Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Observations from the range tonight

I've seen new shooters many times, sometimes I've tried to help them, when they come in carrying a plastic bag with guns in factory boxes, ammo, targets and ear muffs still in the packaging that's a good indicator. Reading the instruction manual is another good indicator. I saw a lot of older couples at the toby state range the two times I went there last month. Only one couple watched the other shooters.
    My gun club had it's first meeting for new members to join on Saturday, over 60 new members showed up, quite a few couples. I had not been a member there for over 20 years, now I'm back and looking forward to some close by range time.

(Bucks County)

Had a short day at work and went to the range today after my doctor appointment.

1. This should go without saying, but wear your eye protection. I was shooting my Ruger mark iv lite and had burning powder ejected onto my face right under my eye. I was wearing my safety glasses. So while the skin under my eyes was a little sensitive, i still get to see.

2. I know it is October, but don't dress up to go to the range. You will be made fun of. Perhaps not to your face, but definitely behind your back and probably by the staff working the range.

Definitely saw a guy at the range who the staff was affectionately calling Captain America.

Other than that, was a good session.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    2. I know it is October, but don't dress up to go to the range. You will be made fun of. Perhaps not to your face, but definitely behind your back and probably by the staff working the range.
    Not quite a halloween costume story, but I once went to Harry's U-Pull-It in Hazelton on a Sunday afternoon. There was obviously a family there that had decided to make a weekend junkyard run right after getting out of church....

(Bucks County)

Went shooting tonight while my fiancee is doing her master gardening program from home.

1. If you put your target at the 25 yard line, somebody in another lane is going to shoot your target. Possibly from two lanes over with bird shot.

2. Binary triggers are kind of silly. To each their own, but it isn't hard to see why somebody would accuse them of not being semi automatic. Guy a few lanes over was shooting a pcc with a binary trigger.

3. Target pasters can really make a target last. I was shooting .22 and bought 2 targets and had another given to me while i was there. I spent about an hour and 45 minutes shooting. Just kept adding new pasters any time i needed something fresh to shoot at.

4. I was skeptical, but the maglula 10/22 speed loader is awesome and totally worth it.

5. 10/22 magazines get filthy after one outing. How do people not clean their .22 rifles and magazines? Those rotary magazines are a pain to get back together but they get all stopped up otherwise.

6. The US army marksmanship unit YouTube channel is awesome and educational. Still have more to watch but trying new (to me) things was really helpful.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Target pasters????? So , where do you rich guys go for champagne after the range?
    Been using masking tape since I was 10 *. I don't think target pasters had been invented yet.

I take brake cleaner * hold up side down *.outside *. and spray out my 10-22 mags with brake cleaner chlorine free *.
    I do this instead of tearing them down *. because as a non - rich guy * I have to go to work and don't have all this free time to waste..

** and I'm just busting your balls in good fun *..not trying to trigger anyone *.
    What are you? Some kind of a monster? 😁

(Bucks County)

Target pasters????? So , where do you rich guys go for champagne after the range?
    Been using masking tape since I was 10 *. I don't think target pasters had been invented yet.

I take brake cleaner * hold up side down *.outside *. and spray out my 10-22 mags with brake cleaner chlorine free *.
    I do this instead of tearing them down *. because as a non - rich guy * I have to go to work and don't have all this free time to waste..

** and I'm just busting your balls in good fun *..not trying to trigger anyone *.
    I also use masking tape and markers. But my eyes aren't getting any younger so i like those high visibility splatter targets or whatever everybody calls them.

I think if i sprayed brake cleaner outside in any quantity, my fiancee might murder me for killing the grass.

I think the real rich guy thing to do might be buy a new magazine every time i head to the range.

I do hold memberships at two ranges though. So if the shoe fits? Wait, no. I get my hands dirty at work and home. Spent all day today appeasing the fiancee by helping dig out a tree stump made out of something that is indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    What are you? Some kind of a monster? ��
    Depends on where you get your news.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Yeah. I wish they were patterning. They were just emptying a pump action into a target to the point of it literally falling off of the target frame.

-Zach
    A good friend bought a Saiga. I thought it was about as worthless a purchase as ever made until we took it to the pit. There’s something to be said for the pure joy of shredding a target with a 12 bore.

High Vis Splatter Targets * wow , just how rich ARE you?
    Tractor Supply sells these cheap!
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

I took my fiancee to the shooting range tonight. We went to the local indoor range and shot pistols. She has really been coming along.

The range seemed very well stocked on ammo. I didn't buy any so i don't know about the prices Guns were also freshly stocked. They had a really sharp looking Talo Ruger mark iv.

The actual shooting range was very empty. When we first got there a couple was leaving. Another couple was shooting next to us and a single guy a few lanes down.

The couple next to us left very shortly after we arrived. Thankfully too. They were the kind of people who buy 1 Target and shoot 200$ of ammo at it and then don't clean up their spent casings.

When they left, i used the lane as a loading station so that my fiancee could shoot more without me literally standing over her shoulder. I quickly got tired of slipping around on their brass and decided to just clean it up. Lucky me! I found 3 cartridges on the ground. A .380 ,.40, and .44 Magnum jacketed soft hollow point. It just be nice to have so much ammo that you can leave some for the next shooter. I'll consider it the price to pay for not cleaning up after themselves.

We shot a Ruger sr22, Ruger sr9, and Beretta 92. All are excellent. I've been shooting subcompacts more recently so it was nice to shoot the full size 92. Just a great gun. My fiancee naturally hated it. But she likes her sr9.

She did get a few failure to extract failures. Those are real show stoppers for a new shooter. It wasn't consistent. It mostly happened with Remington range ammo. I'm wondering if it was ammo related. Her gun just doesn't have enough rounds through it to be a dirty extractor and i couldn't get it to repeat the failure. We also shot some Winchester service or whatever they call the budget stuff that comes in the brown cardboard box and styrofoam bullet block. We had no issues with the Blazer brass we fired. Pretty sure all were 115 grain except for the Winchester.

She was tired by that point so it is also possible that a bad grip was screwing something up. Maybe it was short stroking? That actually makes the most sense now that I'm thinking about it. We are talking about the same woman who managed to short stroke a Ruger mark iv. Any thoughts on this are welcomed.

We stuck around for a bit having the range completely to ourselves for close to 30 minutes before a large group came in. They were at the other end of the range and looked like they were having a good time.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

I bought my wife an SR22. I really like it, but it seems to not cycle on cheap stuff. CCI stuff seems to work great, so I stick with that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast