They have the pink stickers
    I must admit my confusion.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Default Re: Observations from the range tonight

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I must admit my confusion.

-Zach
    Its called threadcrapping. A joke with zero reguard for original post.

You are the rso. Don't let bad shit happen. Try not to be asshole about it. They probably will think you're an asshole anyway. Better than tragedy.

Never understood pride in slow fire 7yd groups.

Air pistols are great for learning the basics.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

zachomega wrote: "I'm not sure if they were new to guns, didn't give a damn about safety rules, or what. I really think ranges need to require safety orientations. I've never been so worried about getting shot at the range by negligent discharge."

Your first post says you were shooting at Holmeburg F&G, a quick review of their site indicates that use of the indoor range requires special orientation and qualification.

I am a member and range director at a local club. I am also an RSO. If I saw gun handling like you stated, I would call for a cease fire and pull the couple to the side for a discussion. I really don't care if they get ticked off, I will not tolerate unsafe gun handing. I try not be be an asshole but if I come off that way, too bad. I would rather be a wound free asshole than the alternative. FWIW, I have seen the results of unsafe shooting, you don't want any part of that.

If you are uncomfortable calling out the unsafe practices, note the time and date and let the range director know about the problem.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStull View Post
    zachomega wrote: "I'm not sure if they were new to guns, didn't give a damn about safety rules, or what. I really think ranges need to require safety orientations. I've never been so worried about getting shot at the range by negligent discharge."

Your first post says you were shooting at Holmeburg F&G, a quick review of their site indicates that use of the indoor range requires special orientation and qualification.

I am a member and range director at a local club. I am also an RSO. If I saw gun handling like you stated, I would call for a cease fire and pull the couple to the side for a discussion. I really don't care if they get ticked off, I will not tolerate unsafe gun handing. I try not be be an asshole but if I come off that way, too bad. I would rather be a wound free asshole than the alternative. FWIW, I have seen the results of unsafe shooting, you don't want any part of that.

If you are uncomfortable calling out the unsafe practices, note the time and date and let the range director know about the problem.
    Sorry. I should have clarified. I shoot at two ranges. Holmesburg is great for rifle, but pistol shooting at 25 yards isn't my cup of tea. Anyway, i keep two memberships. So i can have the best of both worlds.

At Holmesburg, they would have been kicked off the range if they even managed to pass the orientation safety check.

The range i was at is a public range. I've been going there for years. I've seen all kinds of stupid. I regret not saying something. But I'm not even sure what i would have said.

It was clear neither of them had any formal (it informal) training, no understanding of pistol etiquette, or its cardinal rules (keeping muzzle in a safe direction).

Again i ask (sincerely with no hint of sarcasm), how to you approach people at the range who are literally doing EVERYTHING wrong?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Sorry. I should have clarified. I shoot at two ranges. Holmesburg is great for rifle, but pistol shooting at 25 yards isn't my cup of tea. Anyway, i keep two memberships. So i can have the best of both worlds.

At Holmesburg, they would have been kicked off the range if they even managed to pass the orientation safety check.

The range i was at is a public range. I've been going there for years. I've seen all kinds of stupid. I regret not saying something. But I'm not even sure what i would have said.

It was clear neither of them had any formal (it informal) training, no understanding of pistol etiquette, or its cardinal rules (keeping muzzle in a safe direction).

Again i ask (sincerely with no hint of sarcasm), how to you approach people at the range who are literally doing EVERYTHING wrong?

-Zach
    I think I know the public range of which you speak. In Bristol, right?

I had a membership there for a few years, but only went during the day when it was less crowded and mainly had retired guys or training going on. One look at the barriers between lanes and the ceiling told the tale of negligent discharge. The nighttime crowd, especially on the weekends, would never be allowed on any club I’ve known. Management of the range just looked the other way.

(Allegheny County)

Zach,

The fact that it is a public range does change things. I would simply pack and go. My experiences at public ranges, including state gameland ranges, can be summarized as "abandon hope all ye who enter". I wouldn't even begin to approach someone on a public range other than to stop them from crossing the firing line on a hot range (BTDT).
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I think I know the public range of which you speak. In Bristol, right?

I had a membership there for a few years, but only went during the day when it was less crowded and mainly had retired guys or training going on. One look at the barriers between lanes and the ceiling told the tale of negligent discharge. The nighttime crowd, especially on the weekends, would never be allowed on any club I*ve known. Management of the range just looked the other way.
    We are talking about the same range. Yes. I like the range. I like the staff. I really wish they required a safety orientation.

Yes. The barriers between lanes have some telltale marks. Ironically, the lane this couple was using had one. But i know factually it wasn't from them.

The ceiling of crazy there too. I almost took a picture.

I was there early in the day and it was exactly what you described. Lots of people getting formal lessons.

You are right that a lot of people wouldn't be allowed at most clubs.

Unfortunately, it is a business, and you don't make money turning people away. And really, to my record, the only accidents i know of there weren't really accidents (people renting guns to kill themselves). That doesn't mean they shouldn't be a bit more proactive.

Again, i regret not having said something... Even if i don't know what that something is. I'm still trying to figure that out so i can be prepared next time.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStull View Post
    Zach,

The fact that it is a public range does change things. I would simply pack and go. My experiences at public ranges, including state gameland ranges, can be summarized as "abandon hope all ye who enter". I wouldn't even begin to approach someone on a public range other than to stop them from crossing the firing line on a hot range (BTDT).
    Said range has a motorized rope and pulley system so the range never has a cease fire.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Said range has a motorized rope and pulley system so the range never has a cease fire.

-Zach
    I’ve observed a cease fire at that range on two occasions when someone shot down the rope and pulley mechanism. It was a sobering moment of reflection for all present.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast