Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Please clarify a rule and FINE I heard about for PA gamelands shooting ranges.

I don't go out shooting very often, and didn't want the hassle of joining a shooting range / sportsmens club, and having to talk to the other members, I'm a bit antisocial like that. So when someone told me I can get a 1 year permit for $31 for a PA State Gamelands shooting range in Allegheny County, I thought it was a nice simple solution.

Until today.

Someone told me that they have a 6 shot limit, and if you shoot more than 6 shots at a time, it could be a $1000 per shot fine if a game warden is watching and needs to make their quota for the month?

So, assuming for the moment that this is true, you're saying that if I took a standard, unmodified .22 semi-auto with its factory supplied 10 shot magazine and loaded and shot it, that could possibly be a $4000 fine?

What is the sense and logic of that? Being a state agency, I shouldn't be surprised, and I guess someone has to pay for the range, it did look well kept, but this is beyond insane.

And so what then, to comply with this arbitrary rule, I'd have to shoot 6 times, fumble with the rifle like I'm changing magazines, shoot 6 more, repeat, etc? That's way too much hassle for nothing. It would take me no time at all to forget to count 6.

Upon getting home today and reading, I noticed it did say 6 shot limit on the rules page, but for some reason I thought they meant shotguns.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Please clarify a rule and FINE I heard about for PA gamelands shooting ranges.

I think the fine amounts info is incorrect.

Last time I was there, (a decade ago) there was a three shot limit for rifles, and six for handguns. I think the fine was in the low hundreds, iirc. I never got one.

The website has the info.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Please clarify a rule and FINE I heard about for PA gamelands shooting ranges.

It*s 6rds in a rifle and 6rds in a pistol. I thought fine was $100rd over limit but I could be wrong

No rules at the one near our mountain house, rapid fire, shoot before 8. etc

(Mercer County)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by netw0rkpenguin View Post
    It*s 6rds in a rifle and 6rds in a pistol. I thought fine was $100rd over limit but I could be wrong
    ^^^^^
    (6) Load or discharge a firearm that contains more than six rounds of single projectile ammunition.

I don't know what the fine is($1000 sounds extreme), but the limit is six rounds. A lot of people don't like it, but PGC makes the rules. Their reasoning is that their ranges are for hunters to practice and sight in hunting guns, they don't want people rapid firing with high capacity magazines.

(Allegheny County)

LOL!

I wonder how much the fine is for not talking to other members at a club?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    LOL!

I wonder how much the fine is for not talking to other members at a club?

I'm sure there are some members where the club would impose a reverse fine. They pay them to stop talking.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    I'm sure there are some members where the club would impose a reverse fine. They pay them to stop talking.
    How true!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast