Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Please clarify a rule and FINE I heard about for PA gamelands shooting ranges.

Also, why pay the $31 for the year, just buy the very minimum PA hunting license, that also allows entry to any PAGC Range. If you use a certain range enough and get to know the people who run/maintain the range, when you sign in they might just tell you if a warden is lurking around. I used to know the guys at the Scotia range (SGL176 - State College area) and they would let us shoot full auto if they knew there weren't any wardens or anyone else around. I always check in and talk to them when I go, especially if I'm testing/evaluating firearms that I've repaired.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Default Re: Please clarify a rule and FINE I heard about for PA gamelands shooting ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    If you ever spent any time at the wexford range a few years ago you would agree with me.
    Ditto the GL ranges around me. I quit going to them because I literally feared for my life from the unsafe practices I regularly/consistently saw... I'm no Karen about such things, but it was genuinely bad stuff.

I was lucky to then find a club that is not terribly restrictive and not full of fudds or chatterboxes (in fact it's rare for me to see another member there at all)
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

....always check in and talk to them when I go
    Well, that sure ain't gonna work.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Fine was $75. Don't ask me how I know.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Fine was $75. Don't ask me how I know.
    😅

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Ditto the GL ranges around me. I quit going to them because I literally feared for my life from the unsafe practices I regularly/consistently saw... I'm no Karen about such things, but it was genuinely bad stuff.

I was lucky to then find a club that is not terribly restrictive and not full of fudds or chatterboxes (in fact it's rare for me to see another member there at all)
    Me too!!!! I had two times when someone fired while I was downrange. I have a great deal at my range, and rarely anyone there on a weekday. And costs less per year than a hunting license.

(Berks County)

I assume you've shopped around for alternatives? Your county may be way different, but in Berks/Lehigh I've found no shortage of $30/year ranges where it's rare to have to see more than 1 or 2 other shooters any time thats not a weekend morning. In fact while shopping my biggest hurdle was finding someone on site I could ask about the facility.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Me too!!!! I had two times when someone fired while I was downrange. I have a great deal at my range, and rarely anyone there on a weekday. And costs less per year than a hunting license.
    Which range if you don't mind me asking?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Which range if you don't mind me asking?
    Gem City Outdoorsmen Club, in McKean (township, not county). It's on Van Camp Rd., just south of the I-79 exit.

https://www.gemcityoutdoorsmenclub.com/

Membership starts Sept. 1, so now's a good time to get it in. There's a link to application on membership page. Mail it to Julie Lender, not the PO Box.

(York County)

Ive been going to the State Game Lands range here in York for years. I guess the justification for the round limits is that its meant for sighting in a rifle or hunting practice, idk. But for what its worth, Ive only ever seen wardens/range cops/whatever theyre called there once, and that was last weekend. A lot of people ignore the limits. You can hear people just popping off more than 6 shots all the time. I keep to the limits myself, just to avoid any problems.

But those public ranges are iffy at best. Ive seen some WILDLY dangerous shit at those ranges. People handling firearms when the firing line is suppose to be clear and people are out setting up targets, lots of muzzle sweeping, lots of bad trigger discipline, people losing control of their firearms, just lots of bad practices. Just last week I saw a guy have a failure to feed with his handgun, he turns it sideways, pointing it right down the firing line full of people while fixing it, and finger on the trigger the whole time. Same trip, on the rifle side, me and a couple other guys walked down to put some targets up, when I turned back around, a guy was sitting on the bench with his rifle shouldered looking down the scope. What kind of shit is that? Im no range rule nazi, but nothing makes you feel more uncomfortable, or even scared, than seeing a gun in someones hand, pointed in your direction.

I need to get outta there and get a better place to shoot, no matter how many people I have to talk to lmao.

Trust, after 20 minutes at the public range, how many shots you can have in your magazine will be the least of your worries. All you gotta do is look at the trash cans and billboards full of bullet holes to know what kind of stuff to expect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast