Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
It looks like it has a mildot reticle and MOA turrets. I don't like that, but it is manageable. Also, the reticle is on the second focal plane, which means it's only correct at one (usually the highest) magnification setting (first focal plane scopes are more expensive and have their own set of "problems").

Yes, you can range with it. You have to know the size of the target or something near it. Basically, one mil is 3.6" at 100 yds, 7.2" at 200 yds etc. One MOA is 1" at 100 yds, 2" at 200 yds. etc. You have to do this at the right magnification or use a conversion factor for the magnification you're at. The turrets on this scope have .5 MOA clicks, so at 100 yds, one click will move your impact point 1/2" (.14 mils).

You can either dial in for the range and windage or do a holdover. Holdover is good for small on-the fly corrections, At longer ranges the holdover will be be more than you can see in the reticle. The same thing about magnification setting applies.

I suggest a program like Ballistic AE for your phone. It can be set to do the necessary calculation and give you the MOA dial in. It is also unbelievably accurate. I also have a Mildot Master in a pocket on my stock. It also gives you what you need for a MOA dial in. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNxpVBq0kng You can also just do the calculations and make a card with the right drop data for your rifle and load. I also have one of these in my stock pocket.

At 1000 yds, you will be able to clearly see targets, but you're not going to see holes in paper. The power range is right, as most long range guys shoot 1000 yds at 10x - 12x. More than that makes you crazy. This is a good quality scope. I'm sure you know that you need a good quality mounting arrangement installed properly. For 1000 yds, I would use a 20 MOA base.
This is the kind of help I knew I could get around here and was looking for, thanks!