Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Compact and subcompact 9mm hammer fired pistols

I'm looking for a new carry gun for the summer months when i carry iwb. Preferably something that is still in current production. I don't want to chase down some obscure or rare pistol.

I normally carry a Beretta 92fs. In the winter it is great. In the summer, my shoulder holster options print really hard with a t shirt.

So far, my research had turned up a few options.

Beretta px4 storm subcompact. Has a 3" barrel and holds 13 rounds. Looks relatively round so it shouldn't dig in all that hard. Kind of an ugly gun. But function is important. Aesthetics less so.

Beretta px4 storm compact. Holds 15 rounds and gas a 3.2" barrel. It is only marginally larger than the subcompact. I wish i had a way to shoot both of them so i could compare.

Also found some offerings from cz.

Cz 2075 rami - 3.05" barrel - holds 14 rounds. My only concern is that the grip might be too small. I used to have a ppk/s in 380 that i was able to get a full grip on though. So i suspect i can manage a grip on something like this.

Cz p-01 - 3.75" barrel with 14 rounds. Alloy frame. I used to have a cz75. It was very ergonomic. I just didn't shoot it as well as my beretta.

Cz p-07 - 3.75" barrel. Claims to hold 15 rounds. But i suspect it shares magazines with the p-01. Lighter polymer frame.

Like the beretta pistols, i wish i had a way to shoot some of these.

Are there any other compact or subcompact 9mm hammer fired pistols in current production i should be looking at?

-Zach

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Compact and subcompact 9mm hammer fired pistols

I have the Storm compact I picked up a few months ago. Just got a chance to shoot it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I like it. Shoots well seems it will be easy to carry.
    The other gun I often carry that's a very similar size and weight is a CZ PCR. They are similar in size, weight and round count. I'd suggest looking at the PCR also.

dimensions.JPG
    rounds comp.JPG

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    I have the Storm compact I picked up a few months ago. Just got a chance to shoot it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I like it. Shoots well seems it will be easy to carry.
    The other gun I often carry that's a very similar size and weight is a CZ PCR. They are similar in size, weight and round count. I'd suggest looking at the PCR also.

dimensions.JPG
    rounds comp.JPG
    No rail is a bonus for as carry gun. Thanks for the pcr suggestion. I thought the d was for double action only. But apparently not.

-Zach

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    No rail is a bonus for as carry gun. Thanks for the pcr suggestion. I thought the d was for double action only. But apparently not.

-Zach
    Actually forgot about that part. Yeah the D for the CZ means decocker which is a huge plus for me. My Storm currently has the safety/decocker. I purchased the mod kit from Beretta to change it into a decocker only just haven't done it yet. Now that I type this I realize I don't remember where the heck I put that mod kit either LMAO! I know what I'll be searching for at home the next couple of days

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    Actually forgot about that part. Yeah the D for the CZ means decocker which is a huge plus for me. My Storm currently has the safety/decocker. I purchased the mod kit from Beretta to change it into a decocker only just haven't done it yet. Now that I type this I realize I don't remember where the heck I put that mod kit either LMAO! I know what I'll be searching for at home the next couple of days
    Decocker or safety decocker works for me. My Beretta has the safety decocker and I'm used to it. But that d makes perfect sense now. Thanks! Good luck finding your conversion kit.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Decocker or safety decocker works for me. My Beretta has the safety decocker and I'm used to it. But that d makes perfect sense now. Thanks! Good luck finding your conversion kit.

-Zach
    There's HK P30sk as well.

Any of your tiny 1911 would fit the bill, but weight, price, etc. Not that HK is light on price, lmao
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    There's HK P30sk as well.

Any of your tiny 1911 would fit the bill, but weight, price, etc. Not that HK is light on price, lmao
    Cool suggestion. Added to the list. I know hk isn't cheap. But it is something I'll be staking my life on if i need to use it.

-Zach
    P.S. enjoying that 10/22 m1 i hope!

(Bucks County)

Cool suggestion. Added to the list. I know hk isn't cheap. But it is something I'll be staking my life on if i need to use it.

-Zach
    P.S. enjoying that 10/22 m1 i hope!
    There's the USP compacts as well, but the ergos on the P30/VP9 are leagues better imho.

I'm more of a striker guy myself, but have owned a few USP, and have a VP9 in carry rotation. There are very nice, reliable pistols with fantastic track records in military and LE use over the years. Buying them used is normally the way to go as far as saving you from the HK upcharge. Also it's supported by pretty much every holster company out there. HK has factory match triggers and what not if you are a tinkerer, so you can run a better OEM trigger, instead of using an actually aftermarket trigger on your daily CC. Some people get weird about that, I do not. Mags can be a bit pricey, but they come out for sale here and there, so no biggie there. I think I scored a bunch of 17rd OEM mags for like 26 bucks a pop straight from HK on sale earlier this year. So it's not insane. Just keep in mind that HK hates you. Lmfao

The Beretta PX4 storm has that interesting rotating barrel, and should fit what you are looking for pretty nicely. You are already used to the beretta slide mounted safety/decocker, so it wont have too much of a learning curve. PX4 compacts, well heck, pretty much every 9mm compact/sub is pretty scarce right now. Times are nuts. If only you were looking for a fullsize Px4, I have a buddy that'd let his go,

Variety is the spice of life though, mixing it up and feeling the different platforms and their quirks can open your eyes to things you either love, or hate.

Oh geez, I bought a bunch of 25rd rotary mags, locktited down the peep sight, and went to town. Just straight mag dumping that thing. Soooo much fun. Ruger makes a great semi auto 22. The M1 clone most people hate, but I like it. It's a bit different.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    There's the USP compacts as well, but the ergos on the P30/VP9 are leagues better imho.

I'm more of a striker guy myself, but have owned a few USP, and have a VP9 in carry rotation. There are very nice, reliable pistols with fantastic track records in military and LE use over the years. Buying them used is normally the way to go as far as saving you from the HK upcharge. Also it's supported by pretty much every holster company out there. HK has factory match triggers and what not if you are a tinkerer, so you can run a better OEM trigger, instead of using an actually aftermarket trigger on your daily CC. Some people get weird about that, I do not. Mags can be a bit pricey, but they come out for sale here and there, so no biggie there. I think I scored a bunch of 17rd OEM mags for like 26 bucks a pop straight from HK on sale earlier this year. So it's not insane. Just keep in mind that HK hates you. Lmfao

The Beretta PX4 storm has that interesting rotating barrel, and should fit what you are looking for pretty nicely. You are already used to the beretta slide mounted safety/decocker, so it wont have too much of a learning curve. PX4 compacts, well heck, pretty much every 9mm compact/sub is pretty scarce right now. Times are nuts. If only you were looking for a fullsize Px4, I have a buddy that'd let his go,

Variety is the spice of life though, mixing it up and feeling the different platforms and their quirks can open your eyes to things you either love, or hate.

Oh geez, I bought a bunch of 25rd rotary mags, locktited down the peep sight, and went to town. Just straight mag dumping that thing. Soooo much fun. Ruger makes a great semi auto 22. The M1 clone most people hate, but I like it. It's a bit different.
    I prefer the USP Compact to the P30. Trigger and grip texture is far better.

(Lycoming County)

Thee cz75 compact/PCR is a solid choice. I carry the compact sometimes. As is the p-07 . I believe the px4 has a "carrye" model that is the compact improvements that is still available. Looked like a great gun to me too, when it came out a few years ago.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast