Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Compact and subcompact 9mm hammer fired pistols

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Decocker or safety decocker works for me. My Beretta has the safety decocker and I'm used to it. But that d makes perfect sense now. Thanks! Good luck finding your conversion kit.

-Zach
    One neat thing to try is HK's LEM trigger. It's pretty unique. I like it a lot in theory (safety of a DA, shootability of a SA), I have it on my carry USP Compact. It's like a precocked DAO 2 stage trigger.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    One neat thing to try is HK's LEM trigger. It's pretty unique. I like it a lot in theory (safety of a DA, shootability of a SA), I have it on my carry USP Compact. It's like a precocked DAO 2 stage trigger.
    If I had known I'd have asked about that at the shoot. Mine has a stiff DA trigger that I'd like to lighten up. I got lighter hammer springs from Wolf that I have yet to try out.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    WTF is that thing!

Interesting! They ditched the backstrap safety, which is the big reason I disliked their entire XD series.

External hammer, single stack, thats a pretty neat move from Springfield.

Cool, I had no idea that thing existed. Thanks!
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If I had known I'd have asked about that at the shoot. Mine has a stiff DA trigger that I'd like to lighten up. I got lighter hammer springs from Wolf that I have yet to try out.
    If you ever end up on this side of the state, you're welcome to try it. If you want to imagine the feel, just pretend that your first shot has an almost weightless take up with the same length of the DA pull, with the wall, break, and reset of SA. Because LEM decouples the hammer weight from trigger pull (for the most part), it actually comes with a heavier hammer spring to ensure extra reliable primer indentation.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    There's the USP compacts as well, but the ergos on the P30/VP9 are leagues better imho.

I'm more of a striker guy myself, but have owned a few USP, and have a VP9 in carry rotation. There are very nice, reliable pistols with fantastic track records in military and LE use over the years. Buying them used is normally the way to go as far as saving you from the HK upcharge. Also it's supported by pretty much every holster company out there. HK has factory match triggers and what not if you are a tinkerer, so you can run a better OEM trigger, instead of using an actually aftermarket trigger on your daily CC. Some people get weird about that, I do not. Mags can be a bit pricey, but they come out for sale here and there, so no biggie there. I think I scored a bunch of 17rd OEM mags for like 26 bucks a pop straight from HK on sale earlier this year. So it's not insane. Just keep in mind that HK hates you. Lmfao

The Beretta PX4 storm has that interesting rotating barrel, and should fit what you are looking for pretty nicely. You are already used to the beretta slide mounted safety/decocker, so it wont have too much of a learning curve. PX4 compacts, well heck, pretty much every 9mm compact/sub is pretty scarce right now. Times are nuts. If only you were looking for a fullsize Px4, I have a buddy that'd let his go,

Variety is the spice of life though, mixing it up and feeling the different platforms and their quirks can open your eyes to things you either love, or hate.

Oh geez, I bought a bunch of 25rd rotary mags, locktited down the peep sight, and went to town. Just straight mag dumping that thing. Soooo much fun. Ruger makes a great semi auto 22. The M1 clone most people hate, but I like it. It's a bit different.
    Glad you are enjoying that Ruger. As i said, i never bothered to fire it.

As for the px4. The compact is rotating barrel. The subcompact is a browning tilt barrel. I saw the amount of wear on the px4 rotating barrel. I'm sure it was all superficial, but it wears hard. Makes me question long term reliability should something find its way into those rotating grooves. I admit, my carry guns get very dirty before they get cleaned. But i trust my 92fs to go bang and cycle every single time. For that reason, I'm thinking the px4 compact is out, but the subcompact is still in the running.

I prefer the USP Compact to the P30. Trigger and grip texture is far better.
    Don't know my hk products well. Do they have a compact or subcompact usp?

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Thee cz75 compact/PCR is a solid choice. I carry the compact sometimes. As is the p-07 . I believe the px4 has a "carrye" model that is the compact improvements that is still available. Looked like a great gun to me too, when it came out a few years ago.
    Cz is priced right. The p-07 looks a little bigger than what i want. But the rami might be too small. I need to have one in my hand to make that call ultimately.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I'd have to try that before committing to it. But the idea of a lighter double action does not appeal to me. I'm used to a long double action trigger with the Beretta and see it as another passive safety for carrying. You'd have to try pretty damn hard to accidentally shoot the double action first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    It is out for capacity. Looks cool. But there are smaller guns that hold more and guns in the same size that hold more. More ammo and compact is the goal. I have 15 round magazines in the Beretta 92 currently. I know there are also flush 17 round magazines. I just haven't upgraded yet as they are never on sale.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Glad you are enjoying that Ruger. As i said, i never bothered to fire it.

As for the px4. The compact is rotating barrel. The subcompact is a browning tilt barrel. I saw the amount of wear on the px4 rotating barrel. I'm sure it was all superficial, but it wears hard. Makes me question long term reliability should something find its way into those rotating grooves. I admit, my carry guns get very dirty before they get cleaned. But i trust my 92fs to go bang and cycle every single time. For that reason, I'm thinking the px4 compact is out, but the subcompact is still in the running.

Don't know my hk products well. Do they have a compact or subcompact usp?

Cz is priced right. The p-07 looks a little bigger than what i want. But the rami might be too small. I need to have one in my hand to make that call ultimately.

-Zach
    USP comes in a compact 'C' suffix in at least the .45 and 9mm, maybe in .40 but IDK. Would be advertised as USP9C etc. I have a 9C if you want to come out this way and check it out, I like it outside of its heavy DA trigger. I also have a VP9, which is striker fired but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Mercer County)

the cz 2075 rami is two finger grip with flush 10rd mag, full 3 fingers with extended 14 round. the PCR is full 3 finger with 14 rd flush mag and can use 16 round 75 mags with the filler the sp01 uses

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    USP comes in a compact 'C' suffix in at least the .45 and 9mm, maybe in .40 but IDK. Would be advertised as USP9C etc. I have a 9C if you want to come out this way and check it out, I like it outside of its heavy DA trigger. I also have a VP9, which is striker fired but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.
    Added to my list to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    the cz 2075 rami is two finger grip with flush 10rd mag, full 3 fingers with extended 14 round. the PCR is full 3 finger with 14 rd flush mag and can use 16 round 75 mags with the filler the sp01 uses
    Great info on the rami. Sounds like it might be too small in the grip frame or i have to get the extended magazines. Does it come with both or just flush? The ppk/s i had came with a flush and extended finger magazine but both were 7 round and i was able to squeeze my hand into place in the grip frame.

Pcr keeps looking more and more interesting.

-Zach

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast