Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shipping a hand gun verification.

I found this in the PA law's forum from an older post regarding shipping laws.

Intrastate Handguns: A non-FFL can ONLY ship a handgun to an eligible person within the state through the eligible persons FFL. The handgun can ONLY be shipped to the receiving FFL via common carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.). If the receiving FFL WILL NOT accept a gun from a non-FFL, then the shipper will need to have a FFL ship it for them. A non-FFL CANNOT use USPS to ship a handgun.
    I am pretty sure I am reading this correctly but I want to be 100% sure before doing something illegal. So I can ship a handgun to a legal FFL holder using UPS or Fedex within the state especially if the end user who is the FFL sends me the shipping label and a copy of their FFL?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Shipping a hand gun verification.

Yes, you most certainly can. I've done it. However, you should call them first. That's always a good plan. As the piece mentioned, ensure they will accept it from you, and that they will do the transfer for the buyer. Although the buyer should get involved, as well, when I've sold and shipped a gun, I've ensured everything will go smoothly assuming the buyer will do none of it. I felt it was my responsibility, that's just me.

I have not done it in a long time, but IIRC, FedEx makes you use next day delivery which is not cheap, however it does not have to be the more expensive early delivery. They have something called Next Day Air Saver or something like that, which goes out later in the day. Check the guaranteed latest delivery and the receiving FFL's hours for the day of delivery (if they have different closing hours for different days).

There is no reason at all to involve an FFL on your end, it adds no legal protection, and is simply another wasted fee. My only caveat to that comment is that it is possible (but not likely) that the FFL on your end may ship it for very close to the price of you doing it through FedEX, and it may be worth it to use them simply for the convenience factor, especially if there is no FedEx facility to drop it off near you.

That's the last thing, they won't take handguns at their FedEx Print 'n Ship stores, you have to go to one of their local facilities. UPS will do the same, I just use FedEx because their facility is so much closer to me than UPS.

(Centre County)

Hodgie, I believe it was me that wrote that shipping advice you quoted. It has not changed and JCinPA gave you good info. That said, many times, a FFL can ship your handgun to another FFL cheaper (even with insurance added and their charge, unless it is an outrageous price) than you can going through FedEx or UPS. They can ship USPS Priority Mail and within PA, it will probably only take 2 days. For example, I charge $40 to ship a handgun Flat Rate Priority Mail (a bit more if the insurance is over $400). I have used USPS almost exclusively for the past 20 years and I have never had one stolen or not delivered within the expected delivery date.

Also, If you use UPS, you do have to tell them their is a firearm inside the package and they will want to see a copy of the receiving FFL's license (proving you are sending it to an authorized business) so you'd have to get that emailed to you. If using FedEx or UPS, make sure there is nothing on the package that gives any indication that there is a firearm inside, you can use initials for the FFLs' name so the return address doesn't say anything about a gun store or gun shop.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thank you both for the good information.

Xring I hope you do not mind but I send to a PM with a bit more detail on the exact situation.

(Centre County)

Don't mind at all, replied and hope it helps.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member