Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default The dirty trick of the one-way roll pin design

Broken bolt catches on 9mm ARs is pretty well known. Fix is easy...drift the 3/32"x1/2" roll pin aft until the new release can be inserted, and send the roll pin forward again to secure the new release, plunger and spring.

My friend's Brigade BM-9 broke the stop part of the release at the usual weak point...the hole where the roll pin goes. On the 35th shot or so.
    Company told him too busy making the new model to take in repairs. If want the parts, order them from their website, and the cost will be covered. That's been done and response is nothing so far.

I bought the parts online from another source and went to his home (102 miles from me) loaded with tools to do the job yesterday.

Big surprise. This company, whose website drips with promises of taking care of the customer's purchase should a problem arise,
    mounted the roll pin through the aft ear and into the forward ear. The forward ear has a blind hole. There is no way to drift the roll pin out.

Of all the #$%^&*( rotten things to do. No damned wonder Brigade of Miami is "too busy to repair it". They know damned well what a rotten thing they did.

Tried grabbing the roll pin between the ears with tapered pliers, my friend exerting pressure on those pliers jaws with a slip-joint pliers and me striking with a hammer. Also tried sharp ****s. No joy. Roll pins are too hard, and everything just slips because achieving a bite ain't gonna happen.

So, he fires it on the range with no normal way to lock the bolt back or release it.

I'm planning on one day finding a way to send a small drill through the center of the roll pin and on out the front ear, then opening that hole to 3/32" so I can get a drift in there.
    Last edited by Bang; August 2nd, 2020 at 12:32 AM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: The dirty trick of the one-way roll pin design

Roll pins are hard (usually spring steel) but can be cut by a carbide bit. Hit up a good hardware store. Just go slow. Carbide breaks easily. And no fixing that easily.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Dremel with a 90° head or flex shaft and a tiny drill bit.

If you can get a small enough drill bit for inside the roll pin, use the roll pin as a drill guide to drill through the other ear, then a larger drill bit using the hole as a pilot to back drill till you hit the roll pin.

You could also just use the larger bit and drill blind of you have a lil faith.

Hmm, makes me think if I have to do another ar put together to through drill the blind holes

(Bucks County)

To be fair, my friend received the parts from Brigade today.

(Bucks County)

Well, am I ever embarrassed. After much struggling with this roll pin project, a very bright light was shone on the visible part of the pin and it was not a roll pin at all. It was a socket head with threads part way and 3/32" pin the rest. The socket took a 1/16" Allen wrench to back it out. That explains the blind hole in the forward ear.

This socket head pin is a lot easier to work with than a roll pin. Kudos to Brigade and my apologies. Live and learn.

Hope someone will be glad to learn of this design and be on the lookout for it.

Trip up to finish the repair had a plus...went on the motorcycle. Beautiful day and night.

(Centre County)

Aero Precision uses the threaded pin for the bolt catch/release on some of their lowers. I started threading my builds that way, just bought a few of the pins from AP and got a long shafted (6" OAL) 6-32 small shank tap to make it easy to tap. You can also just use a longer 6-32 set screw (cheaper than the AP pins).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Well, am I ever embarrassed. After much struggling with this roll pin project, a very bright light was shone on the visible part of the pin and it was not a roll pin at all. It was a socket head with threads part way and 3/32" pin the rest. The socket took a 1/16" Allen wrench to back it out. That explains the blind hole in the forward ear.

This socket head pin is a lot easier to work with than a roll pin. Kudos to Brigade and my apologies. Live and learn.

Hope someone will be glad to learn of this design and be on the lookout for it.

Trip up to finish the repair had a plus...went on the motorcycle. Beautiful day and night.
    oh well. Remembering SNL Gilda Radner Never mind.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

What*s a little disturbing to me is that when you called the manufacture nobody there said *hey, that pin is threaded*?
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Xringshooter
    Aero Precision uses the threaded pin for the bolt catch/release on some of their lowers. I started threading my builds that way, just bought a few of the pins from AP and got a long shafted (6" OAL) 6-32 small shank tap to make it easy to tap. You can also just use a longer 6-32 set screw (cheaper than the AP pins).
    Great info. Thanks for this.