Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Why the new trend of ffl to transfer a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    I understand wanting to cya. However we've always just used Bill of sale and copy of license or ltcf. Just seems odd to me seeing so many people wanting the transfer. Me personally, I see it as an added cost to the firearm. So I'd expect the price to be lower for the rifle. However I guess I can see how someone new to firearms wouldn't know any better and wouldn't think twice about it. I was more curious if something happened recently I wasn't aware of. That made the ffl transfer a better cya than the bill of sale. Tha KS for the responses!
    A bill of sale has never been the equivalent of a FFL transfer - a FFL transfer certainly does cover your ass more than a piece of paper completed by the buyer.

That said, I've made it my mission years ago to only buy FTF if at all possible.
    There are some long guns that are not as easy to find on the used market, so it may require me biting the bullet and accepting the seller's terms if I really want the rifle. That said, I've done OK playing the waiting game and finding sellers who are OK with a bill of sale - or more commonly, when asked, they say "No, I don't need any of that crap".

I do buy most of my stuff via the classifieds here though, so often times people feel comfortable selling to me, as they "know" me through the forum.
    I typically offer to show my PA driver's license as proof of residency, as well as my LTCF, and I'm happy to complete a bill of sale.
    Some go that route, while others are good with a handshake.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    How are they covering their ass if they're engaged in a legal transaction?
    Bullshit, they're the 2a equivalent of a RINO.
    Because you can be sued should a person use said firearm improperly, intentionally, negligently, or accidentally. It also eliminates all doubts on whether the purchaser is a prohibited person.

PA law provides legal protection from civil suites if the transaction has a background check performed via PICS.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Nothing wrong with having a third party to verify the integrity of a buyer in any field. Especially to eat up liability.
    There is something wrong with the government mandating it be required though.
    Id use an ffl too. $25-50 for good receipts and a professional atmosphere.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    How are they covering their ass if they're engaged in a legal transaction?
    Bullshit, they're the 2a equivalent of a RINO.
    Maybe they just want to make sure they aren't selling their gun to a fellon or a crazy person.

Most first time buyers these days have probably supported universal background checks in their liberal past, so we're just accommodating them...

It's also a safety thing. Some people would rather meet FTF at an FFL than in a parking lot someplace. Usually, if I'm buying a long gun from someone and they want to do an FFL transfer, I ask them to either take the cost off the price of the gun or pay for the transfer themselves. Reason being is there's no legal requirement to do an FFL transfer for a long gun, so why should I have to pay for the inconvenience?

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Some liberals (and other group affiliations as well) have attempted to buy firearms because it is reportedly fast and easy, only to find out that they have legal issue that makes them a prohibited person. I forget the name of the Chicago "journalist" whom this happened to years ago. I can see why the level of concern in increased.

I keep all my records secured of any sales.I too will implement a Rifle or Shotgun in the future requiring an FFL Transaction just for further protection and also indicate Transfer on buyers dime ! I know some sales will not occur but in my book better safe than sorry !

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Covering your ass is basically it.

A transfer through a FFL pretty much eliminates all liability on your part.

This world just loves to sue any and everyone.
    Exactly, using an FFL puts the liability on the FFL. Seller basically washes his hands of the sale.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

Funny enough, i won't buy or sell with a home done bill of sale. I have no way to verify how those records will be kept by the other person. Privacy is a pretty big concern for me. Same reason I'm not in social media, don't have gun stickers on my car, and try to have as little evidence as possible that i own firearms.

So when i buy and sell, i verify they have a current ltcf and a current pa license. I ask that they cover their address when they show it. It isn't my business where they live other then that it is in state. Shake hands (well fist bump or whatever people do now) and part ways.

I'd be okay with an ffl transfer if i absolutely had to. But like many others, it is just an added cost that usually makes a deal way less of a deal. Most ffls in my area charge 40-50$ for a transfer. The ones who charge less are unreliable kitchen table types or unreliable store types. That isn't to say that there aren't good kitchen table guys. I just haven't found one yet. Sometimes that money closes the gap between just buying new (when possible) or putting my money toward anything else.

I think vetting who you sell to helps. I've never had any issue selling to active pafoa members. Never dealt with anybody who wasn't active. They mostly want to kick tires.

-Zach

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast