Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Why the new trend of ffl to transfer a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Because you can be sued should a person use said firearm improperly, intentionally, negligently, or accidentally. It also eliminates all doubts on whether the purchaser is a prohibited person.

PA law provides legal protection from civil suites if the transaction has a background check performed via PICS.
    This right here is the best response. ^^^^^^

There are so many prohibited peeps out there that it is not even funny. That's what led to the "straw purchase" issue like 10-15 years ago. Back then, I was I had a dollar for each couple that came into the LGS, with the guy pointing to a handgun in the case telling the girl "buy that one'. The owner would look over to me and I would be shaking my head no while doing the hand across the throat gesture. He would walk over and show her the gun and then tell her that if she bought this gun for someone else that would be illegal. In all cases the girl would hand the gun back and walk out.

(Bucks County)

I get it now. We have the freedom to exchange and sell long guns, but for some of you that's just a little too much freedom to handle.
    Squashed by fear
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    I get it now. We have the freedom to exchange and sell long guns, but for some of you that's just a little too much freedom to handle.
    Squashed by fear
    The choice to do a transfer or not, is the freedom. I have the freedom to choose not to hand over an AR15, to a person I dont know, in the Walmart parking lot. I also have the freedom to sell one to a person I know, either from the other transactions I've made here, or people I know personally.

(York County)

Squashed by fear
    True. OTOH, CYA is a valid notion in the real world.

To me, it depends on a) is the firearm 'tied' to me somehow and b) do I know you?

If a) is true, then I want at least a BOS. If I truly have no connection to you whatsoever, then probably FFL.

On the flip side, if a) is NOT true and b) IS true, then the only 'docs' I'll be looking for are rectangular in shape with Dr. Franklin's picture on them.

Last time I did an FTF I was the buyer and it was a well-established POOFA member selling. He wanted a BOS and to see (not copy) my DL and LTCF. I was fine with that. And yeah, it's a cliche, but we did it in the parking lot of WalMart.
    Last edited by KCJones; August 2nd, 2020 at 11:09 AM.
    DGAF

(Lycoming County)

Squashed by fear
    On the flip side, I have the right to not open myself up to litigation for selling a gun to someone I don't know at all.

Personally, I've bought and sold without the actual transfer. Usually to someone I know. I've only ever listed two guns on here and both were pistols, so needed the transfer anyway. If I listed a rifle here, Armslist, GunBroker, etc and some random buyer I don't know wants it, I'd probably pay for the transfer to cover my own ass. Here is a little different, since I could look up how active someone is. For example, I have never met you in person, but I know some of your post history and a little about you. I would be more likely to sell to you with bos and LTCF (I would) vs. someone who only posts in the classified and I can't look up. Someone like Justin or EM or Streaker that I've met tons of times, I'd probably just hand them the rifle and be done. It's a gradient of how likely it is something bad could come back on me, not really a reflection of the buyer. I am 100% against this being "required" under some bullshit law, but I'm going to take my best interests first everytime. That might be somewhat selfish, but it's not harming anyone's freedom IMHO.

(Allegheny County)

Squashed by fear
    Karens.
    Probably require the buyer to wear a mask too - just to cover their ass.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Squashed by fear
    You do have freedom in this case. You have the freedom to decide what the best way to do a transaction yourself based on your own thoughts, ideas and comfort level. Others are not deciding for you. If you require a ffl transaction you are exercising your freedom to do things the way you want, not the way others want you to do it which is the loss of freedom.

I don*t think the government should require going through an ffl and registration. But I think a free citizen should be able to sell a gun how they see fit and within their comfort level. Not a comfort level determined by me, you or anyone else on the board or by the government. If I am selling a gun to a stranger my comfort level is I want to know they are not prohibited and not from another state. A ltcf helps ensure both. My comfort level would be different dealing with a friend, co worker or family member.

If someone else want to have a different set of criteria when they sell a gun..... that*s their right to exercise their freedom of thought and determine their own comfort level imo

It*s like a lot of things in life. I don*t want to see a lot of things regulated by the government because I believe in citizens making their own choice. That does not mean I don*t see the logic behind certain things.

I don*t think firearms training should be mandatory and regulated by the government. But I still see the logic and think it*s smart to train with your gun and learn how to shoot it. That*s my choice. It should not be the government choosing for me.

I will sell without a ffl transfer but I understand why others do. They are exercising their freedom to determine what they want to do.
    Last edited by internet troll; August 2nd, 2020 at 11:24 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Karens.
    Probably require the buyer to wear a mask too - just to cover their ass.

I've seen what some of you look like, gradient again on whether I want to have to look at their ugly mug or not.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    Looking in the classifieds, I notice a semi high amount of people requiring a ffl transfer for a rifle. I am in no way complaining. Just curious what started this trend? Am i out of the loop on something?
    Well........ a lot of folks are overly cautious. If the law doesn't require it, why should you require it? I ask for drivers license and bill of sale that I found on here, I think, where the buyer states that he is not a prohibited person. Also ask if LTCF, and copy that. If someone is going to come after you for doing that, and the person is prohibited, you were probably being targeted anyway. I wouldn't buy a rifle if someone wanted a FFL transfer, so why would I ask someone else to do it?

(Wyoming County)

Geezus this is like a "what oil/tire should I use" thread on auto forums. It's been beat to death.

Don't like it, don't deal with it. Stop f'ing dictating what risks others should accept. You do you and all that
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast