Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Body Armor for Potential Unrest?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    We were laughing at the last Morgantown Gun Show. Some armor vendor had signs all over his tables touting that armor was soon going to be banned so get it while you can. I wouldn't buy anything off of a vendor like that and if I was Eagle Arms Gun Shows, I'd tell the guy if he did that again he won't be back.
    He is at every Eagle Arms for the past two years

(Chester County)

Someone needs steel plates with mini lips around to stop spall.

Bump in the night, plate carrier would be nice with pistol and light already on it.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Berks County)

Just wrote a whole long ass reply and it didnt save. Ill just list the points that matter..

-NIJ Certified a must!
    -If plates, go with lightweight ceramics, not steel.
    -If your budget requires steel only then make sure to at least do a 3a soft insert if front of it unless you like spall in your neck, the coating alone is not enough.
    -If weight and mobility is a major concern, just go with 3a soft and take your chances. Remember, armor is only as good as the shooter on the opposite side, they have to hit your armor for it to even matter which those chances are slim.

What/Where to buy..
    https://www.trex-arms.com/product-category/Body-Armor/
    or
    https://rmadefense.com/the-armor/

Good luck.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Anyone have any experience or info on these guys?

https://tuffypacks.com/

Plus:
    Affordable IIIA 12x18 Backpack inserts for more coverage (I'm a big guy)

Cons:
    Appear to be manufactured in China

(Dauphin County)

So after saving a little extra for a few paychecks, I went ahead and ordered the IIIa+ soft armor from Safelifedefense.com. I went with this one because of

1. I did see a video of one of their vest getting shot with 150 rounds of 9mm fmj and it stopped all until the 145th-150th hit.
    2. Was more affordable than some other options.
    3. Got it on a pre black Friday sale for less than $500 listed, though with shipping and tax came back up to about $550.

I ordered it early morning Monday the 23rd and received it via Fed Ex yesterday before I got home from work. According to their size chart I'm either an XL or a 2XL depending on a few pounds difference. I went with the XL and it fits nice and snug, though there is a small gap on the sides where the side are supposed to meet but that is because I do still have a little bit of a gut even with all my weight loss. I've been wearing on a 12 shift that is still a few hours from being completed and so far no real complaints. I'm a little warm, but I don't feel like I'm sweating, I'm wearing a moisture wicking long sleeve shirt under the armor, with my uniform shirt over top. On the first foot patrol I took I could feel a little strain in my thighs getting used to carrying around the extra weight similar to when they got used to carrying the weight of my duty belt.

So far I like it and at some point I will probably buy some sort of rifle plates for it, though I don't think it very likely that I would need rifle plates for work, but always better safe than sorry.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Montgomery County)

Better to have and not need then need and not have.
    Especially if they could be rather rapidly deployed from trunk to vest in field.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for reliable body armor

Ceramic with plate carrier < 400.00

Saw it on gun deals

https://gun.deals/node/830021

(Erie County)

If anyone is worried about .gov then buy it at a gun show and pay cash. but it will cost extra $$.

I originally bought Ar500 with old IIIA as a spall cover, but it was uncomfortable with extra weight, and I'm 6-2, 210, and work out. Guess it would do in a pinch, better than nothing. Try wearing the ar500 for a few hours even around the house. Not fun.

My recommendation is go ceramic/composite if you want something more than IIIA.

Buy a concealable carrier from them or from another site, and put the AR500 plates in it.

AR500 is heavy...I don't care who you are...wearing it on a daily basis is rough. I have ceramic plates and I just ordered a set of Hesco L210 from KotaOutfitters and they are already shipping it to me. I bought them for my 11 year old daughter for when she gets older. She is going to have a hell of a great Christmas this year as she started hunting, and I gave her a bunch of my guns. I wished my dad was as awesome as me. HAHA

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast