Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Looking for reliable body armor

I've come to the conclusion that with everything going on it's time for me to buy some concealable body armor. I know a lot of you LE guys have experience with that sort of thing, so I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations. I've found two companies I'm interested in but I am unsure if they're reputable being that they are not NIJ certified. For those of you that don't already know I work as an armed security guard near downtown Harrisburg. I don't often come into contact with the public but do occasionally deal with the homeless and trespassers. My main concern with making this purchase is to have an affordable and reliable vest, that god forbid if I ever get shot will save my life. IIIA or IIIA+ would be preferable to me.

www.bulletsafe.com

www.safelifedefense.com
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Looking for reliable body armor

I have not heard of either one of those companies, nor would I suggest a IIIA in the current environment with rioters walking around with rifles.
    Get yourself an AR500 Level III+, affordable effective protection against all pistol rounds and most common rifle rounds.
    https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...-armor-en.html
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I have not heard of either one of those companies, nor would I suggest a IIIA in the current environment with rioters walking around with rifles.
    Get yourself an AR500 Level III+, affordable effective protection against all pistol rounds and most common rifle rounds.
    https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...-armor-en.html
    The two companies I listed offer concealable vests that have pockets for plates. I need something that can fit under my uniform shirt because the site I work won't allow overt plate carriers, don't want to scare the employees.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    The two companies I listed offer concealable vests that have pockets for plates. I need something that can fit under my uniform shirt because the site I work won't allow overt plate carriers, don't want to scare the employees.
    Buy a concealable carrier from them or from another site, and put the AR500 plates in it, front/back, or front only if preferred.
    A low profile carrier is still low profile with a III+ plate vs a IIIA panel.

(Erie County)

Just remember with AR500 armor consider getting some kind of spall control.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    Just remember with AR500 armor consider getting some kind of spall control.
    Agree, always buy the build up coating when purchasing hard plates.

(Clearfield County)

Bulletsafe is pretty good, I have one of their IIIa vests and its decent. UHMWP is the way to go for soft armor, its not effected by moisture or heat like kevlar is and its half the price. There are a ton of videos on youtube where Bulletsafe stuff gets tested if you want to check it out.

(Washington County)

Get ceramic plates. AR500 armor is dumb because of weight and spall.

(Bucks County)

I don't know anything about body armor, but what is the deal with expiration dates? Sorry. Not trying to hijack the thread.

-Zach

(Perry County)

One of the things with armor is comfort. I'd definitely make sure that people that wear it 8 or 12 hours a day reviewed it and found it OK. Different than a plate carrier which is less likely to be worn for extended periods of time unless you're in the military. For armor to be comfortable, the edges need to be properly finished. The carrier needs to have sufficient adjustment as well as enough straps/strong enough straps to keep it properly placed when doing physical activities. In other words, it needs to move with you. Those are the things you'll pay more for.

Also, read a fitment guide. You'll want it high enough over the gun-belt to avoid pushing it up when sitting, or if you have some extra girth, from pinching your love handles between the belt and vest. Not much you can do about ventilation because regardless of carrier claims, you're still covering much of your upper body in a non-breathable material. Better the carrier should be durable enough to stand up to a lot of washes. And, get an extra carrier if you can afford it so you can swap out every few days so you don't smell like the inside of a gym bag and you don't have to wash the stinky one between shifts.

Found this test. Not a huge fan of Botach and we know that most of these reviewers receive things directly from the manufacturer/supplier so the test samples can be tweaked. Also realize not what the OP is interested in but the title will bring in anyone looking for armor.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast