Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for reliable body armor

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I have a hard time personally justifying just in case purchases that are so excitement AND have a shelf life.

-Zach
    $1000 divide by 5yr = $200/yr insurance for your vitals.
    my dept issued vests usually run around $800, ar500 stuff around $300ish if memory serves.
    it sounds like a lot but we (in general as a people) waste far more on things like overpriced coffee and food per year because it is more convenient than bringing from home.

not to knock you, just feel it needs laid out from a different perspective.
    likely it'll never be used. you might spend $5k on vests and never be shot, others might spend $5k on a two week vacation and have nothing to show but some memories that will fade.
    you might be able to sell the vest expired for a little return on investment. $800 vest becomes $600 in the end.
    we spend umteen thousands a year on health insurance, 1-3k/yr for car insurance. about the same for home. might go 30yrs and never have a claim on the home.
    Last edited by fallenleader; August 2nd, 2020 at 01:45 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    $1000 divide by 5yr = $200/yr insurance for your vitals.
    my dept issued vests usually run around $800, ar500 stuff around $300ish if memory serves.
    it sounds like a lot but we (in general as a people) waste far more on things like overpriced coffee and food per year because it is more convenient than bringing from home.
    For your line of work, it sounds like a good deal. For the average guy looking to just have it in case, i don't see it. If you aren't wearing it when you need it, it is for nothing. And you never know when you'll need it. Therefore, you should always wear it. This is the same argument for always carrying. It does you no good when it isn't on you.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

We*ve switched over to mc armor. Most concealable and most comfortable armor we could find. Our life and comfort is worth it. We bill the cost back to taxpayers anyway. https://mc-armor.com/

zach you're entirely right, if the vest is at home hanging on a hook. it is worthless.
    for the "just in case" where it might be worn a half dozen times in 20 years at most, maybe that is the best argument for steel.

Quote Originally Posted by netw0rkpenguin View Post
    We*ve switched over to mc armor. Most concealable and most comfortable armor we could find. Our life and comfort is worth it. We bill the cost back to taxpayers anyway. https://mc-armor.com/
    looks like good shaped stuff, not outrageous $ either.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Dauphin County)

Lots of good info in this thread already.

There are a plethora of soft armor companies. Lvl 2 can suffice but you have to look at your threat levels. I always buy IIIA. Concealment cut is comfortable. Like Unclejumbo stated earlier, get it fitted so it wears well. You can also buy plate cut, MBAV, proprietary cuts, etc. Look at what fits your need. I have used the Velocity Systems LPAC (concealment cut) which I really enjoyed. Once I set it up correctly, I could tailor it up or down depending on the situation. I could also hide it under a soft shell jacket. Concealed under a shirt or uniform would be noticed.

NIJ is changing their standards to the 7th edition. It was supposed to be out already but I have not seen anything on it. Their current rating is NIJ 06.

Materials of the soft armor vary. Again, do you need NIJ certified? I always buy Kevlar because I’m not too worried about the thickness and flexibility. Other materials work well. The other issue is back face deformation. This goes for both plates and soft armor. Some soft armor will stop the threat, but will protrude into you more than others. Same with plates.

Like stated earlier, stay far away from steel. I have worn it and hate it. Between the weight and the potential spall, it’s not worth it. Ceramic plates have come down in price and are worth the little bit of extra cash.

What threats are you potentially facing? Unless you are facing 30.06 AP rounds, lvl 4 is not really worth it. Most plates are close to an inch thick. Common threats CONUS are 5.56 and .308. SS109, M193, M855 are all easy to get 5.56 rounds. M855A1 is still pretty uncommon but starting to make its way into the civilian market. Both 7.62x39 and M-80 are very common. Armor Piercing Incendiary ammo is out there, but again, very uncommon. Also, some plates are stand alone, others are in conjunction. Up to you with what you want to choose.

There are a bunch of manufacturers out there. Some NIJ rated, some aren’t. I have narrowed my choices down to a special threat plate. Essentially a lvl3+ plate. Defeats everything in the lvl 3 category but is also tested (by manufacture) to specific rounds to make it a +.

HESCO L210, 3810, U210 (M855A1 threat)
    Tencate CR2000SA
    AT Armor STOP plate

Retailers:
    717 Armory for HESCO
    SKDTac
    OP Tactical
    AT Armor
    Velocity Systems
    Bulletproofme is good too

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Default Body Armor for Potential Unrest?

I would never ask anyone to disclose in public if they own Armor or not, but is it something I need?

I never even considered it before today, when I realized that if Trumpy Bear wins, the unwashed hoards may come to my sleepy little corner of PA.

Am I operator enough to need it?
    Are soft plates enough?
    Is there any use ordering now for delivery in later November?
    Is AR500 brand the junk everyone on the web says it is?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Body Armor for Potential Unrest?

Someone started a thread asking similar questions about a week or so ago.
    Try a search - you may luck out and find it.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Sorry I didn't find that sooner. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jesemd View Post
    I would never ask anyone to disclose in public if they own Armor or not, but is it something I need?

I never even considered it before today, when I realized that if Trumpy Bear wins, the unwashed hoards may come to my sleepy little corner of PA.

Am I operator enough to need it?
    Are soft plates enough?
    Is there any use ordering now for delivery in later November?
    Is AR500 brand the junk everyone on the web says it is?
    You don't have to be operator anything. You're a free American and that's the only reason you need to have body armor.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    You don't have to be operator anything. You're a free American and that's the only reason you need to have body armor.
    Agreed!

There are plenty of affordable set ups too that are better then soft if you wanted hard including ceramic. Search body armor tests on MrGunsandGear youtube channel and you will find a lot.

If you feel soft is all you need then get soft. Your chances of being confronted by a person with a handgun bs a rifle are most likely higher.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast