Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: Looking for reliable body armor

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I don't know anything about body armor, but what is the deal with expiration dates? Sorry. Not trying to hijack the thread.

-Zach
    Its one of those things where they have to put an expiration date on it. Kevlar does eventually break down to where it might not stop the rounds its rated for, but there are a lot of variables that go into when that will be. A kevlar vest that is kept sealed in a climate controlled room is going to last a hell of a lot longer than one that's strapped onto a sweaty fat guy in Miami everyday.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Its one of those things where they have to put an expiration date on it. Kevlar does eventually break down to where it might not stop the rounds its rated for, but there are a lot of variables that go into when that will be. A kevlar vest that is kept sealed in a climate controlled room is going to last a hell of a lot longer than one that's strapped onto a sweaty fat guy in Miami everyday.
    Sure. I get that. Other than ar500 plates, do they all have a shelf life of 5 years then?

-Zach

(Chester County)

If you*re going to wear body armor, I suggest wearing polyester type shirts (I like Hanes) underneath it. I also suggest getting tacvent. Tacvent doesn*t keep you cool 100% but it definitely helps me in the summer. Those two things are the best set up I found to work for me for making my armor as comfortable as possible.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

I got mine recently from https://ar500-targets.com/ Shortest lead time. Had it in 7 days when most places are talking 2 months.

been issued point blank iiia and armor express vortex vests in the past. i've also got ar500 lv iii+(i think) plates
    if this is your every day, i recommend to go soft. conceals better and is effective against many common handgun threats.
    i've worn steel plate for work, if it doesn't kick your ass it will wear you down over time. soft offers more sq.in. of coverage against common threats, hard offers less coverage but against higher threats.
    many concealed carriers support some sort of add on plate. think on mine i'd have to yank out my little heart plate and it'd then fit a 10x12. it'd only take a minute to pull apart my cover. so keeping rifle plates on hand for instances of a known threat, like "the riots are moving into town" or "so and so just got a restraining order against their armed ex" might not be a bad idea.

i will attest that one of your best allies is to "look like everybody else" even if it is just throwing a jacket over your kit until you're at work and ready to go. might help to avoid off-site confrontations.
    people don't read a badge or patch, they just see it and come running, whatever their intent. assistance, confrontation, etc. it can get annoying... like your on your 15 and you can't even get down the block to covfefe express without being flagged down by randos with issues out of your jurisdiction.

my experience with a single steel plate on the front is the back rides up and you are pulled forward. you're hanging a weight on your chest, it is unbalanced.

thought expiration dates were simply "we ensure it will meet our standards in normal use until this date" like "best by" dates, except it isn't possibly stale and flavorless in the end like cereal, but has potentially lethal ramifications.
    the other day i ate some canned fruit that was nearly two years past date. it was fine, but the can looked fine inside and out, fruit looked and smelled fresh, tasted fine. how does one tell a vest is fine inside and out until after it stops or fails to stop a round?
    Last edited by fallenleader; August 1st, 2020 at 04:50 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Bucks County)

If you go level 4 then go ceramic. At ~5.5 pounds each plate, much lighter than steel.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that with everything going on it's time for me to buy some concealable body armor. I know a lot of you LE guys have experience with that sort of thing, so I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations. I've found two companies I'm interested in but I am unsure if they're reputable being that they are not NIJ certified. For those of you that don't already know I work as an armed security guard near downtown Harrisburg. I don't often come into contact with the public but do occasionally deal with the homeless and trespassers. My main concern with making this purchase is to have an affordable and reliable vest, that god forbid if I ever get shot will save my life. IIIA or IIIA+ would be preferable to me.

www.bulletsafe.com

www.safelifedefense.com

Bulletproofme.com. That being said I have my second set of Lapolicegear Level3 plates coming soon....try ATarmor as well.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Sure. I get that. Other than ar500 plates, do they all have a shelf life of 5 years then?

-Zach
    They have expiration dates, but that doesn't mean they actually go bad. The ultra high molecular weight polyethylene stuff is much more durable then kevlar, it doesn't break down until you heat it past 170 degrees and it totally waterproof. Ceramic plates should be checked for damage periodically since cracks will make them less effective (organizations that use them x-ray them yearly) For some perspective even AR-500 plates have an expiration date, it just happens to be 20 years from date of manufacture.

(Bucks County)

I wouldn't get steel, most of the time a bit heavy and they recommend a trauma pad...

Ceramic and poly is lighter and spreads the impact out a bit from what I have read....If you want concealable and want the ability to stop rifle, get Level3A armor with an available insert pocket for the ability to install center of chest and back plates...

(Berks County)

Wassa madda, feeling vulnerable after losing all that wt?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast