Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Freezer candidates for hunt season 2020 /21

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Cool.
    The traffic around my cam mostly has a 7 and an 8.
    The 7 looks small.
    The 8 will be a decision looking thru the crossbow scope if he still visits after the 19th.
    I haven't set any cameras up at the property I hunted last year. But if any of the bucks that were around last year are still around this year, there will be some monsters. Getting excited, especially with the Temps dropping off nicely at night.

(Allegheny County)

I think I'm going to change my plan to fill my freezer.
    I have few legal buck 75 feet from my garage door but this upcoming cow elk hunt has taken a bit of a priority.

I walked 9.75 miles today with 35 pounds of crap on me with a brand new pair of Kennetrek boots.
    The feet did just fine but the walking trail is about flat and mostly paved.
    I'm going to archery hunt about 20 miles away and carry my Loggy Bayou tree climber and Ten Point FX4 crossbow through woods to archery hunt in 2A.

Both knees are bone on bone and close to needing a refurb but not exceptionally painful.

So, I'm going to take a couple cameras to the location I hunt for old mans rifle doe season and load up the backpack with 50 pounds of stuff, see whats available in freezer candidates there.

Not sure how far ill be walking in Wyoming but need to be ready.
    ( damn those boy scouts for making me think i need to be prepared)
    Last edited by 27hand; September 12th, 2020 at 07:41 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wayne County)

27hand, what part of Wyoming are you heading to? I*ve got a bull elk hunt planned for 2021 up near Wheatland. Terrain up that way is not to steep and walking isn*t to bad. Altitude is the killer, you*ll huff and puff like a freight train.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    27hand, what part of Wyoming are you heading to? I*ve got a bull elk hunt planned for 2021 up near Wheatland. Terrain up that way is not to steep and walking isn*t to bad. Altitude is the killer, you*ll huff and puff like a freight train.
    I'll be staying in Wheatland.
    I think my tag is for area 7 and the hunt is scheduled for the second week of Dec.

Guide said the area won't be too difficult as far as terrain but I plan to pack heavier and walk further over the next couple months. Its nice that the temp is starting to drop.
    I didn't think about the elevation difference aside from having the scope dial made for that area.

(Wayne County)

Yo if you finish up early, head out southwest from Wheatland on Wy 34. Go about 25 miles out and you*ll find the Shamrock Saloon, great little bar and Laura the owner is a piss. When I*m out there in 2021 we plan on making a return visit. The ranch we hunted mulies on was just up the road from the saloon. Good luck on you hunt and kill sumtin.

(Allegheny County)

I was up in my backyard treestand this morning and have come to the realization that this honey hole of a spot may have run its course.
    At 630 to 730 it was a little warm but as it started to get light, a guy maybe 100 yds away had a new dog or 2 that started barking.
    About 830, a couple neighbors started building or nailing stuff followed by weedwhacking and a lawnmower running.

For a couple weeks, almost every deer has been nocturnal.
    Here's the 7. Hes running with the 8 for now.
    EK000483 7 point by poofy27, on Flickr

Here's the 7 with the 8
    EK000491 7 and 8 by poofy27, on Flickr

I think.i built this stand 5 years ago and the last 3 got a nice 8 point, a 9 point and a nontypical 14 point along with a few doe.

I'll keep the cameras back there but tomorrow I'm going to scout around the area I hunt for old mans rifle doe season.
    Taking a machete, loppers and a bowsaw and one camera.

I've been seeing an 8 point back here but only at night.

Maybe closer to the rut, it'll perk up.
    Last edited by 27hand; September 27th, 2020 at 10:22 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Good luck to anyone going out for archery.
    I, unfortunately, have a tile contractor coming on Tuesday and need to prep all the plumbing before then.
    The toilet location will change due to size of tub so that drain pipe needs to be cut out and modified.
    The sink drain and water have to changed as well.
    After the tub is set, a new tub / shower diverter with new valves are going in as well as the waste and overflow location is changing.
    I shitcanned the one piece Toto so now my avatar has to reflect that.

The 7 and 8 point are up the street in daylight.
    My buddy up there shoots them off his pool deck.

Hopefully, I can get out on Wed.

(Bucks County)

Welp, filled 2 tags today. 1 doe, and took my buck. Doe came in, gave me a 10-12 yard broadside shot and nailed her. Watched her run towards a fence and turn around, dropping about 10 yards from where I shot her. Lowered the crossbow down out of my stand and turned to climb down the ladder when I see movement what would have been behind me. Realize right away it was the buck that I had been seeing on this property. Quickly pulled up the crossbow, managed to cock it and nock another bolt. He stood behind a bunch of brush between 38 and 40 yards. He moved into a clearing at 34.5 yards and he gave me a slightly quartering towards shot. Nailed him. Hit a little high, but double lunged. Shot felt great, but never heard him crash. Climb down and set all my gear at the edge of the tree line and start heading towards the truck to retrieve my sled. Loaded up the doe and started looking for the buck. Arrow looked good, good blood. Found hair, but not much blood right away. Called my dad to help, figuring I could use the extra hand getting 2 deer out. We looked and couldn't find him. No blood, nothing. At this point it was dark, so we decided to head back out and I'd come back in the morning when I could see. We start walking out and started to find blood, and lots of it. Followed it out, and there he was, only made it about 30-40 yards from where he stood. Weighed the deer out at home, doe weighed in at 146 pounds, while the buck tipped the scales at 170 even. That's a pretty big doe for me, the average we seem to shoot are between 115-125 pounds. The rack isn't the biggest, but he's a nice 8 point.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    Welp, filled 2 tags today. 1 doe, and took my buck. Doe came in, gave me a 10-12 yard broadside shot and nailed her. Watched her run towards a fence and turn around, dropping about 10 yards from where I shot her. Lowered the crossbow down out of my stand and turned to climb down the ladder when I see movement what would have been behind me. Realize right away it was the buck that I had been seeing on this property. Quickly pulled up the crossbow, managed to cock it and nock another bolt. He stood behind a bunch of brush between 38 and 40 yards. He moved into a clearing at 34.5 yards and he gave me a slightly quartering towards shot. Nailed him. Hit a little high, but double lunged. Shot felt great, but never heard him crash. Climb down and set all my gear at the edge of the tree line and start heading towards the truck to retrieve my sled. Loaded up the doe and started looking for the buck. Arrow looked good, good blood. Found hair, but not much blood right away. Called my dad to help, figuring I could use the extra hand getting 2 deer out. We looked and couldn't find him. No blood, nothing. At this point it was dark, so we decided to head back out and I'd come back in the morning when I could see. We start walking out and started to find blood, and lots of it. Followed it out, and there he was, only made it about 30-40 yards from where he stood. Weighed the deer out at home, doe weighed in at 146 pounds, while the buck tipped the scales at 170 even. That's a pretty big doe for me, the average we seem to shoot are between 115-125 pounds. The rack isn't the biggest, but he's a nice 8 point.
    Now.
    Thats how you load a freezer.
    Great job. Congrats on a nice buck and doe.

(Allegheny County)

I'm heading out tomorrow although it is a bit warm.
    Going to a new area I had cleared some shooting lanes from a decent tree with a trail about 20 yards off.

These 2 are still just hanging around at night. Surprised they are together.

IMAG0203 8 point with doe by poofy27, on Flickr

Looks like it'll be a bit warm for the next week or so.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast