Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Freezer candidates for hunt season 2020 /21

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    How*d you pull that off, fix his toilet?
    Ha. Truth be told. His neighbors 40 acres are included ( my in) and I did recently install a shower diverter for him and did work for his brother. A local contractor ( about 4 jobs and many consults with him till I finally quit doing everything).

It may also have helped that my daughter worked at his farm outlet stand a couple years.

His quote was. " kill anything brown"

Going today for the permission slip.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Ha. Truth be told. His neighbors 40 acres are included ( my in) and I did recently install a shower diverter for him and did work for his brother. A local contractor ( about 4 jobs and many consults with him till I finally quit doing everything).

It may also have helped that my daughter worked at his farm outlet stand a couple years.

His quote was. " kill anything brown"

Going today for the permission slip.
    Always a catch. If people would bang on doors of farmers and offer free help they would have places to hunt. I help the land owner as much as I can and I was given freedom to do as I please on his property. Woodchuck problem, I*m on it. Clear Brush along stone wall, I*m on it. Posting of the property, I*m on it. Help fix steel roof on the barn, I*m on it. Help repair farm equipment, I*m on. We*re very good friends now.

(Allegheny County)

I got out for a few hours this afternoon.
    Man what a gorgeous day. I plopped my ass down on my double hot seats with the old Ithaca M87 and loaded with Remington copper solids which have been discontinued.

Heres the old ass.
    2021-01-09_05-39-43 by poofy27, on Flickr

Since the copper solids are now replaced with a Barnes head, I may resort to shooting up all the old sabots I have.

2021-01-08_07-59-21 by poofy27, on Flickr

BRI sabots from 91.
    Bri was bought out by Winchester who over the course if a few years redesigned the sabot and naturally my Deerslayer hated the new version.
    I tried a diversified multitude of others and settled on either Lightfields or Copper solids which hit reasonably close given the 1 1/4 oz lightfield and the 1 oz solid.

Those 2 at 100 hit well but they all can do the job at 50.

I'm grilling some butterflied deer chops tonite. Fruits of freezer candidates this season.
    Sea salted. Onion onion spice, big pats of butter grilled to rare and nuked 10 seconds at a time to perfect.
    Last edited by 27hand; January 10th, 2021 at 06:12 PM.

(Bucks County)

Well, I didn't tag out, that would have been a lot of deer on the ground. But I did put another one in the freezer on Monday in 5d with the crossbow. I still have tags left, but season ends on Saturday and no one in the family needs any more meat. This one is going to be turned into about 15 pounds of snack sticks and we're going to try some bratwurst. So, for me, the 2020/2021 season is in the books. Hoping 2021/2022 brings more of the same. I will say though. I am hunted out and could use a break. Now, time to gear up for fishing season and start stockpiling arrows and broadheads for next season.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    Well, I didn't tag out, that would have been a lot of deer on the ground. But I did put another one in the freezer on Monday in 5d with the crossbow. I still have tags left, but season ends on Saturday and no one in the family needs any more meat. This one is going to be turned into about 15 pounds of snack sticks and we're going to try some bratwurst. So, for me, the 2020/2021 season is in the books. Hoping 2021/2022 brings more of the same. I will say though. I am hunted out and could use a break. Now, time to gear up for fishing season and start stockpiling arrows and broadheads for next season.
    Good for you. Congrats on another doe.

I've only been out a few times this late season. Knees are bothersome all the time now and Doc appt for them on 5 Feb. I hope to get out at least once or twice before Sat.

Enjoy the venison. I'm prepping loads for a couple deer rifles as I type.

(Bucks County)

I miss getting out and hunting with the rifle, but its been strictly crossbow the last few seasons. I bought a 4c tag with the hopes of being able to get up that way to hunt, but with covid, I lost half my vacation time at work and just didn't have the time to get there. I've got 3 rifles I'd love to shoot a deer with, marlin 1894c in 357 mag. Marlin 1895 45-70 and my grandfather's marlin 336 in 35 rem. My dad and I have been thinking of doing a hog hunt, so maybe the 35 or 45-70 will find its way on one of those hunts when we go.

(Bucks County)

Well, this morning my dad and I put the finishing touches on the last deer of the year. I appreciate everything he does for me, which with me working nights, is a lot. So, I usually end up shooting the deer, bringing them home, then we both work to gut and skin them. If it's during the week, he ends up doing most of the butchering. So, yesterday he cut up the deer and ground it up. Decided to do sausage and snack sticks with this one since it was the last one of the year. He rendered off about 30-35 pounds of snack sticks and sausage (pork included). He mixed up a 10lb batch or snack sticks, a 10lb batch of sticks with cheese and the rest was a garlic sausage. I came over after work and we went through and stuffed the snack sticks, which is a fairly new process for us. We are still figuring this process out and compared to last year, took half as much time. I also bought a digital meat thermometer to monitor the meat Temps as he smoked the sticks. First lesson learned, fresh casings are much more forgiving than old, dried out casings, second lesson, we need a bigger table and smoker. I haven't had a chance to get over there after a batch was smoked, but I'll be stopping by tomorrow to help vacuum seal everything so it can stay fresh for the year. Next step will be pulling ground blinds and securing locations for next season.

(Allegheny County)

Today was the last day of shotgun doe and flint.

It was a bit nipply this AM at 18 degrees. A great day to be in the woods.
    I saw 4 deer, my buddy and a Game Commission officer.

I packed it in about 11 30 and went home due to my knees really being a couple Bitches today..
    My one friend just had major shoulder surgery and I had promised him some brass and his wife some canning jars. Since he lives 1/2 mile from where I hunt, I decided to go back out about 3 till dusk.

About 4ish, I saw 2 deer ranged at 140 and just didn't want to chance a long shot through trees and brush.

My flint buddy said he'd walk through the area where the deer were last seen before we called it a day.

He did kick one up but it was long gone when I saw it's tail.

Cleared the gun, we walked back to my truck and a Game Commission officer was parked waiting for us to get back.

He just did a license check and we bullshitted a while. He just got a CMP Garand after I told him I used an old NO 1903A3 to get a doe in old mans rifle doe season.

was a great day out.

Cold, snow covered ground, squirrels, wool pants, and coffee break during the post.

2021-01-23_07-07-03 by poofy27, on Flickr

Great season. I just sent in for a Wyoming Cow Elk tag yesterday as well.
    Now to shoot that Tikka.
    I have about 400 Magnum rifle primers, 5 pounds Of H100V , 180gr Accubonds, 185 and 190 Berger VLDs to work a load

Don't get much better

(Allegheny County)

After being very lucky this past season and filling my freezer, its time to start enjoying the harvest.

This is a bacon wrapped venison tenderloin. Oven at 350 for 40 min and broiled another 2 to 3 each side till the bacon crisped.
    2021-01-26_07-27-15 by poofy27, on Flickr

2021-01-26_07-26-57 by poofy27, on Flickr

I made a couple elk steaks but just fried in oil ( my wifes suggestion ). I prefer grilling with sea salt, butter and onion onion spice.

I put together some elk breakfast sausage. (ground elk, brown sugar, thyme, salt, black and red pepper ) fried in oil.

2021-01-26_07-27-06 by poofy27, on Flickr

Today for lunch I made elk chops and made them like my venison chops.
    Butterfly chops, sea salted, onion onion spice, black pepper, pats of butter and grilled after removing the Polar Votex snow off the grill cover.

2021-02-01_12-42-03 by poofy27, on Flickr

2021-02-01_12-42-16 by poofy27, on Flickr

2021-02-01_12-42-41 by poofy27, on Flickr

Glad I sent in for another elk tag and already watching the leftover buck in my backyard for next years freezer candidates.

(Bucks County)

Made some burgers today for lunch. Came out amazing.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast