Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Class 3 SOT holders, I have a few questions.

As most know, I have my 01 FFL. Coming up on my 3rd renewal. Last time at my 2nd pre-renewal inspection, the inspector was talking me up to get an 03 SOT. I dismissed it given my low-key business. I break even most years and don't move more than 5 or 10 guns most years.

I looked into it with my renewal coming up and learned quite a bit. But some questions remain. I haven't seen or heard from ATF except at renewal. Can I expect the same if I receive my SOT or does being an NFA dealer bring more inspections and contacts?

I don't think I'll do a lot of business being home-based but moving a few suppressors or SBRs a year would be likely. Is it like my FFL where they don't care as long as I'm crossing the 'T's and dotting the 'I's? Or do they want to see a more vigorous business?

Is there much profit to be had on suppressors or other NFA bits? I've found I can buy guns on Gunbroker for about the same as I can from distributors just because I can't buy in volume. Should I expect the same here?

If you're uncomfortable talking business in the open, feel free to send me a PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Washington County)

Default Re: Class 3 SOT holders, I have a few questions.

This is the perfect time to be thinking of getting an SOT, which are valid from July 1st until June 30th of the next calendar year. It's a tax, not an approval process, so fill out the one-page form with payment and typically within 30 days your tax certificate will arrive in the mail.

Can you make money? The SOT is going to cost you $500 and like guns, the major distributors like SilencerShop are tough to beat on price, but if you bring that home-town feeling to your customers, treat them right, you can make up that $500 just doing transfers for online NFA purchases ($50 to $75) is pretty typical.

We only use https://allenarmstactical.com for suppressors, give them a call, and they will answer all your questions if you start the phone call with, "I'm an FFL, thinking of getting an SOT". Great guys, they will help you out. Tell them "Washington County Machine Guns" says hi.

There's no additional hassle during inspections. Many FFL's keep a second A&D Book for NFA items to keep things simple, but store everything in the same safe. We used do that, but now only keep 1 A&D book.

Give me a call sometime if you want to discuss more.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Washington County)

You will get a lot more feedback on the NFA and FFL facebook groups.

(Centre County)

I'm a home based FFL/SOT and have had my 03 SOT for about 6 years now. I can pay for the $500 yearly fee without a lot of trouble and make some decent money also. The big thing would be how many other SOTs are near you who you would be competing with.

As WCMG said, no extra inspections, etc. I also have 2 bound books, for me it's easier that way to keep track of things. Allen Arms Tactical also is my main suppressor distributor but I also sent copies of my FFL and SOT to a lot of the other suppressor manufacturers to use them if my customer wants something I can't get through AAT or SilencerShop. If you decide to get your SOT now, it will still be $500 (no proration) but you'll be good for 11 months. If you decide to get it, drop me a PM and I'll give you some inside info about SilencerShop, there are a lot of dealers that don't really like their business practices but I'll give you my take being a small operator.

Here is another place to join if you haven't already - https://www.fflsonly.com/ ONLY FFLs can join this group and they have some really big names on this forum who can help answer ANY question you might have. Brandon, from Allen Arms Tactical is on there and can answer all your NFA questions.

Pretty much if you can sell 5 or 6 suppressors a year you'll pay for your SOT.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; August 4th, 2020 at 05:47 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Perry County)

I wanted to thank all of you for responding. I'm still tossing around the idea but your information helped a lot. And if I go forward with it, I'll give a call with "newbie" questions if problems arise.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If you decide to get it, drop me a PM and I'll give you some inside info about SilencerShop, there are a lot of dealers that don't really like their business practices but I'll give you my take being a small operator.

Here is another place to join if you haven't already - https://www.fflsonly.com/ ONLY FFLs can join this group and they have some really big names on this forum who can help answer ANY question you might have. Brandon, from Allen Arms Tactical is on there and can answer all your NFA questions.

Pretty much if you can sell 5 or 6 suppressors a year you'll pay for your SOT.
    Same boat, sent a PM about a week ago.
    FFL's only can help with good info and just as quickly be arcom type shit show.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff