Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Thistle? Now yer really bucking for it! According to my grandfather, thistle will kill a cow and it's illegal to permit it to grow. At least, that's what he told me back in the 1960's when I used to spend summer time on his farm.
    True. The township would give you a fine where I lived if you had Canadian thistles in your fields. It is really hard to stop invasive species. About a year ago the power line trimmers were were cutting across the road from me. The next year I saw two Rose of Sharon bushes started-gotta cut them. No doubt in my mind the seeds came off their truck. I looked on the PA DNR website and it is an invasive species. Here is something interesting: Tiger lilies are considered an invasive species too. Those orange lilies you see all along the roads in PA. They seem harmless to me, but what do I know? I am like Boo Vuccla, I buy "Weed" seeds and spread them around. A lot of the native weeds are beneficial to wildlife and have been wiped out in many areas due to spraying in the 50's and 60's. Our Township used to spray agent orange along the roads when I was a kid.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

A couple of people in town here went with old heavy duty chain link fence poles and greased them. Bears bent them right to the ground. When I lived in Lehigh County during the '95-'96 blizzard I had deer come in the yard and knock a feeder out of a tree about 5 foot off the ground. That was the year the deer stripped a native Holly tree in my back yard of leaves, which are like barb wire. Hard to stop animals that are determined.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456