Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

Burdock??? Who wants to plant a nuisance like burdock?
    It's for the birds. Not exactly for adorning the property. I gathered Thistle and planted it around the fence rows for the birds at a house I used to own. It had really colorful purple flowers but then they turned into ominous looking plants but who cares as long as it attracted song birds and migrators.
    We do feed year round. We get a lot of beautiful birds that i didn't even know could be so abundant in our area. So if it makes my lady happy, it makes me happy.
    It wouldn't hurt to move the feeders around once in a while but there is nothing wrong with enjoying the birds. Especially if it makes the boss happy!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    It's for the birds. Not exactly for adorning the property. I gathered Thistle and planted it around the fence rows for the birds at a house I used to own. It had really colorful purple flowers but then they turned into ominous looking plants but who cares as long as it attracted song birds and migrators.

It wouldn't hurt to move the feeders around once in a while but there is nothing wrong with enjoying the birds. Especially if it makes the boss happy!
    Thistle? Now yer really bucking for it! According to my grandfather, thistle will kill a cow and it's illegal to permit it to grow. At least, that's what he told me back in the 1960's when I used to spend summer time on his farm.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post

Yep, the "boss" moves the feeders around from time to time. Usually when squirrels have figured out how to exploit them.

It doesn't take long for the starlings to find them though. It doesn't help that we have 2 bird baths in the back and one in the front. In the summer, you get all kinds of birds who just want a drink and to cool off.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Yep, the "boss" moves the feeders around from time to time. Usually when squirrels have figured out how to exploit them.

It doesn't take long for the starlings to find them though. It doesn't help that we have 2 bird baths in the back and one in the front. In the summer, you get all kinds of birds who just want a drink and to cool off.

-Zach
    You should dispatch them as they bathe.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Thistle? Now yer really bucking for it! According to my grandfather, thistle will kill a cow and it's illegal to permit it to grow. At least, that's what he told me back in the 1960's when I used to spend summer time on his farm.
    Natives of Pennsylvania, WH!!! I never plant invasive species and cringe at the catalogs where you can order from in the mail or online! I have a camp surrounded by the Woolly Adelgid, the forest floor covered by Hay-Scented Ferns, Emerald ash-borers that killed all the Ash Trees on the ridge, Gypsy Moths every 5 years in the Oak Trees, Stripped Maples everywhere and Brown Trout in the native Brook Trout streams. These are just a few of the invasive bastards in the wild here in my woods.

On my Swamp Thistle which is native to Pennsylvania, I understand why you watch for it in pastures and fence rows for grazing cattle. I'm not up against any farms where I live now.
    At least seven thistle species are native to Pennsylvania, but several invasive species are also found in the state, according to the USDA Plants database. Thistles are generally found in open, sunny landscapes that have been disturbed, often by fire or animals. Thistles are popular among pollinators.
    Lancaster Farm News.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You should dispatch them as they bathe.
    I would, but I'm afraid them the squirrels who also drink from it might get a taste for blood.

-Zach

a shot at them will do. aim better

Starlings go away if you don't feed them

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrickdylan72 View Post
    Yes. Problems go away if you don't deal with them. They haven't actually gone away just because you don't see them.

Why does this keep needing to be said?

-Zach

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrickdylan72 View Post
    So do the birds you want to feed and observe.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast