Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,127
    Rep Power
    4952732

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    I received my tomahawk starling trap yesterday. I put it out today. Caught 5 all at once. Probably would have caught more if i had left it out, but i was going out and didn't want to leave it unattended.

    I used peanut suet as bait. I used the cage of the trap like a cheese grater and left a bit extra at the entrance funnels. Took a few hours for them to find the trap. But so far I'm very impressed.

    -Zach

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,127
    Rep Power
    4952732

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I received my tomahawk starling trap yesterday. I put it out today. Caught 5 all at once. Probably would have caught more if i had left it out, but i was going out and didn't want to leave it unattended.

    I used peanut suet as bait. I used the cage of the trap like a cheese grater and left a bit extra at the entrance funnels. Took a few hours for them to find the trap. But so far I'm very impressed.

    -Zach
    And 15 more this morning.

    -Zach

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Birchrunville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Age
    67
    Posts
    474
    Rep Power
    21474840

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    And 15 more this morning.

    -Zach
    Well that's enough for a meal. Heard they taste like chicken.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,127
    Rep Power
    4952732

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Well that's enough for a meal. Heard they taste like chicken.
    I'll be sure to ask the opossums, foxes, and skunks how they taste. They ate the 5 from yesterday overnight.

    -Zach

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scranton, Pennsylvania
    (Lackawanna County)
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    3190199

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    So u are just killing them to Kill them ?? I don't get it . .

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,127
    Rep Power
    4952732

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    So u are just killing them to Kill them ?? I don't get it . .
    Because they are not native and invasive. Why do people kill lantern flies? Because they are destructive. So are starlings. They harm the native bird populations.

    -Zach

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richboro, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,102
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    When cleaned starlings look like a small dove breast. Doves are tasty and probably eat the same things as starlings so I would say try it.


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,127
    Rep Power
    4952732

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    When cleaned starlings look like a small dove breast. Doves are tasty and probably eat the same things as starlings so I would say try it.

    Definitely eat similar things. But not all the same. The starlings go for peanut suet, peanuts, and thistle. The doves go for thistle, and safflower.

    -Zach

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    73
    Posts
    970
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Because they are not native and invasive. Why do people kill lantern flies? Because they are destructive. So are starlings. They harm the native bird populations.

    -Zach
    You need to be working for ICE
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    219
    Rep Power
    1416145

    Default Re: Does anybody catch and dispatch invasive birds? Starlings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    but for some reason the chickadees and titmice have been MIA.
    Same here in my area. Wonder what's going on. On a positive note, the starlings are MIA also.

    Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Another Invasive healthcare form
    By SammyL in forum General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: June 18th, 2012, 05:49 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
  3. Friendly, non-invasive Microsoft (NGC)
    By WhiteFeather in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •