Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question Anyone here a machinist and can do some simple lathe work for a project?

I stopped by some local machine shops and they weren't interested in small one off jobs so I'm looking for someone that maybe has a lathe at home or can do it at their work if they are allowed

I'm working on a few projects and many of them have custom parts that need to be made on a lathe. They are pretty basic and simple IMO. I need to bore a hole (~1/4" diameter) in a rod of steel (5/8-1" diam) - length 2-4" long. I need to make turn a few .1825 - .25" shafts of roughly the same length - some with a rounded/domed top.

The piece with the hole I may need a slight chamfer or bevel around the opening at one end.

I need the end of a 1"ID & ~ 1 3/8"OD steel pipe squared up and made flat.
    I need a 3/8-1/2" thick by 2.5" x 2.5"steel plate made into a round plate (take off corners) and one of the faces squared up. Maybe also a hole drilled in the middle (.2-.3")

If you can cut threads on a 1" diameter steel rod, or bolt, (standard thread sizes, 6, 12 or 20 TPI I think - probably 6 will be what is needed but I'm not 100% sure) that will be great and I will have a number of things I will want to have cut at some point.

These are the main things I need done now and if you can do these.

As far as pay, I'm willing to negotiate and if you are produce a good product I will be returning for some additional projects pretty quickly, as soon as I get final dimensions figured out.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Anyone here a machinist and can do some simple lathe work for a project?

I'd do it no problem but on the other side of the state.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone here a machinist and can do some simple lathe work for a project?

My lathe could probably do that but I can't.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tankman1989 View Post
    I stopped by some local machine shops and they weren't interested in small one off jobs so I'm looking for someone that maybe has a lathe at home or can do it at their work if they are allowed

I'm working on a few projects and many of them have custom parts that need to be made on a lathe. They are pretty basic and simple IMO. I need to bore a hole (~1/4" diameter) in a rod of steel (5/8-1" diam) - length 2-4" long. I need to make turn a few .1825 - .25" shafts of roughly the same length - some with a rounded/domed top.

The piece with the hole I may need a slight chamfer or bevel around the opening at one end.

I need the end of a 1"ID & ~ 1 3/8"OD steel pipe squared up and made flat.
    I need a 3/8-1/2" thick by 2.5" x 2.5"steel plate made into a round plate (take off corners) and one of the faces squared up. Maybe also a hole drilled in the middle (.2-.3")

If you can cut threads on a 1" diameter steel rod, or bolt, (standard thread sizes, 6, 12 or 20 TPI I think - probably 6 will be what is needed but I'm not 100% sure) that will be great and I will have a number of things I will want to have cut at some point.

These are the main things I need done now and if you can do these.

As far as pay, I'm willing to negotiate and if you are produce a good product I will be returning for some additional projects pretty quickly, as soon as I get final dimensions figured out.
    I have a buddy who is trying to get his shop off the ground so to speak.

He could probably do this for you. If you wanna PM me your contact info i can send it over to him