Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default M&P Shield 9mm return (question re: customer service, etc)

I purchased a M&P Shield 9mm recently and I had to send it in for warranty repair before firing a shot. When I stripped the weapon to lubricate/clean it in advance of its' first trip to the range, the sear deactivation lever popped free with minimal pressure and fell down the magwell.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? It is very disconcerting for a new firearm to fall apart before use. S&W's customer service was great, but they are telling me it will take 4-6 weeks to repair due to the pandemic, which seems ridiculous. Does anyone else have any experience with a repair during the current fauxpocalpyse? Are repairs really taking *that* long?

Thanks, all.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: M&P Shield 9mm return (question re: customer service, etc)

That definitely sucks. However it's not the norm, you almost never hear of issues with the Shield, and they've produced over a million. So once it's back and working I wouldn't worry, but that turnaround obviously isn't ideal. Perhaps emphasize you'd really love if it were expedited and maybe they can accommodate.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    That definitely sucks. However it's not the norm, you almost never hear of issues with the Shield, and they've produced over a million. So once it's back and working I wouldn't worry, but that turnaround obviously isn't ideal. Perhaps emphasize you'd really love if it were expedited and maybe they can accommodate.
    Thanks! That was my plan. Squeaky wheels, etc.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sucellus View Post
    S&W's customer service was great, but they are telling me it will take 4-6 weeks to repair due to the pandemic, which seems ridiculous. Does anyone else have any experience with a repair during the current fauxpocalpyse? Are repairs really taking *that* long?

Thanks, all.
    Sorry for your troubles, but the service delay seems understandable, given the current state of the rush on pistols. First time firearm ownership is at an all time high, but you knew that.

My Shield9 is my CC piece. She (along with my M&P9) has been reliable every range trip, which is why I have one. They go BANG every time.

(Lancaster County)

I have noticed that COVID has become a convenient catch-all excuse for reduced performance by many businesses. True, many processes have been made much less efficient by the BS we are all forced to deal with, and it certainly affects profits. (part of the dempanic plan)

But, other than having to breathe through a mask all day, I don't understand why a service department must be slowed down by the coronavirus.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by oneoclock View Post
    But, other than having to breathe through a mask all day, I don't understand why a service department must be slowed down by the coronavirus.
    Fewer personnel on hand, interruption of spare parts, delivery service delays, and many other things.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Fewer personnel on hand, interruption of spare parts, delivery service delays, and many other things.

But, why are there fewer personnel on hand? Is the business open, or not? Why does the business have fewer personnel on hand just because of coronavirus? My business has everyone working.

How did coronavirus cause a shortage of spare parts? S&W is the manufacturer.

The shippers have been doing a terrific job! Other than USPS bouncing packages all over the state before delivery, the professional shippers are on their game.

Yes, the lockdowns caused a lot of process disruptions, but COVID is providing a convenient excuse.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sucellus View Post
    I purchased a M&P Shield 9mm recently and I had to send it in for warranty repair before firing a shot. When I stripped the weapon to lubricate/clean it in advance of its' first trip to the range, the sear deactivation lever popped free with minimal pressure and fell down the magwell.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? It is very disconcerting for a new firearm to fall apart before use. S&W's customer service was great, but they are telling me it will take 4-6 weeks to repair due to the pandemic, which seems ridiculous. Does anyone else have any experience with a repair during the current fauxpocalpyse? Are repairs really taking *that* long?

Thanks, all.

Yup, true. I*m finally getting my shield back tomorrow. I*m at 7 and a half weeks.
    The future is predetermined by the character of those who shape it........

(York County)

I think it's VERY unusual. I don't recall hearing near-anything about Shields failing near-new. We own two (9mm hers, .45 mine) and shoot them regularly with no issues. About 3-4 years in on each, probably several thousand rounds through each without a problem.

Where did you buy it? I agree playing "squeaky wheel" is a good idea, but if it's a very recent purchase you may want to involve your retailer too. See what help they can give you. A retailer calling up S&W may have a bit more 'oomph' than a customer... Just sayin.
    DGAF

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I agree playing "squeaky wheel" is a good idea, but if it's a very recent purchase you may want to involve your retailer too. See what help they can give you. A retailer calling up S&W may have a bit more 'oomph' than a customer... Just sayin.
    Hmm... respectfully, sounds like a waste of time KC.

No retailer ever accepted responsibility for a weapon issue, in my experience. And nor would they make a phone call on my behalf to the manufacturer.

Sucks when it happens... we*ve all been there.

Sportsman*s Shop is where I do most of my business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast