Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: M&P Shield 9mm return (question re: customer service, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Hmm... respectfully, sounds like a waste of time KC.

No retailer ever accepted responsibility for a weapon issue, in my experience. And nor would they make a phone call on my behalf to the manufacturer.

Sucks when it happens... we*ve all been there.

Sportsman*s Shop is where I do most of my business.
    Oh I dunno. Sure, it might be a waste of time, but little-enough effort to give it a try. What harm? You can be all alone playing squeaky-wheel or try to get the retailer involved. At least they have SOME vested-interest.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sucellus View Post
    I purchased a M&P Shield 9mm recently and I had to send it in for warranty repair before firing a shot. When I stripped the weapon to lubricate/clean it in advance of its' first trip to the range, the sear deactivation lever popped free with minimal pressure and fell down the magwell.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? It is very disconcerting for a new firearm to fall apart before use. S&W's customer service was great, but they are telling me it will take 4-6 weeks to repair due to the pandemic, which seems ridiculous. Does anyone else have any experience with a repair during the current fauxpocalpyse? Are repairs really taking *that* long?

Thanks, all.
    Don't suppose you were the guy returning the pistol at Johnston's in Croydon?

-Zach

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by oneoclock View Post
    But, why are there fewer personnel on hand? Is the business open, or not? Why does the business have fewer personnel on hand just because of coronavirus? My business has everyone working.

How did coronavirus cause a shortage of spare parts? S&W is the manufacturer.

The shippers have been doing a terrific job! Other than USPS bouncing packages all over the state before delivery, the professional shippers are on their game.

Yes, the lockdowns caused a lot of process disruptions, but COVID is providing a convenient excuse.
    a lot of places are working short because of the Covid, either people get tested and have it so they're quarantined or the company only has so many come in so as to reduce exposure, and some just don't want to work. A lot of places that can have people working from home, the AT&T call center only had 2 people actually there a few weeks ago when i called, and my mechanic inspected my car recently but I have to go back for the sticker because PennDOT has only a few people in to mail out stickers. It's created a whole alternate reality, and it's mostly an illusion.

Also, the demand for service and parts is through the roof as well. People aren't just sending in guns for repair, they're sending in guns for improvements/changes. And a lot of people (myself included) are buying parts to put back in case Sleepy Joe wins in November. If that happens, the panic we're seeing now will seem like nothing, and prices will climb dramatically.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Bucks County)

The post script to this is that I got the gun back from Smith after seven weeks almost to the day. I have put several hundred rounds through it without any malfunctions.

I tried contacting Smith to expedite the repair but it fell on deaf ears. They actually told me they were in a summer down time and would have fewer gunsmiths in house,, which I found interesting given current circumstances.
    Smith's customer service was adequate. They did what they said they would do, nothing more.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sucellus View Post
    The post script to this is that I got the gun back from Smith after seven weeks almost to the day. I have put several hundred rounds through it without any malfunctions.

I tried contacting Smith to expedite the repair but it fell on deaf ears. They actually told me they were in a summer down time and would have fewer gunsmiths in house,, which I found interesting given current circumstances.
    Smith's customer service was adequate. They did what they said they would do, nothing more.
    when I got my 1.0 9mm sheild it did not fire. THe firing pin was not hiting the primer hard enough. I figured it was the ammo and tried 4-5 different brands. Still nothing. I sent the gun in for repairs. They said that there was nothing wrong and didnt replace a single thing. It worked when i got it back but then it started to fail again. Im sending it back in today so we will see how long this takes

(Allegheny County)

I can't imagine getting it back in less than 4-6 weeks during the slowest time of a normal year. Let alone now. Recommend cooling your jets and adjusting expectations.

When I sent my M&P 9 back several years ago, it was over 2 months before I got it back.

(Bucks County)

Sounds like an intermittent problem. Something keeps changing, rotating through works, occasional fail, complete fail, et cetera. That's the worst. If they get it and it's in a works mode, back it comes. Then it's time for a pistol smith who has (or makes) the time to persevere and find it. The irony can be, a model that seldom gives trouble may not have a known cure.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12