Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Help me work up a .223 load with 65gr Sierra Gamekings, please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    What powders do you have? Post up some pictures of your ladder tests.
    I've used BL-C2, Varget, 8208XBR, IMR 4198, and H335. I didn't take any pictures of the groups, just measured them and recorded them in my notebook.

Today I got out and ran 80 rds loaded up with H335. It has definately been the best of the powders I have tried thus far. Best groups were achieved with 25.6 gr, and an OAL of 2.275, using Winchsester brass and CCI 400s. That load averaged groups of about 5/8 to 3/4 inch at 100, however were obviously over pressure, even had one blown primer.

I bumped the charge weight back to 25.2gr and got good results. groups opened slightly, but stayed consistantly under an inch at 100 yds, without pressure signs. I'm just gonna go ahead and stay with this for my hunting load.

Ever combination I have tried has shot well, just nothing got me to 1/2 MOA. From what I've seen this bullet performs better at higher velocity, and I would assume that it would perfrom better from a longer barrel, but I have no way to test that myself.

I've come to the conclusion that this is a dedicated small to medium game hunting bullet, and with that in mind it should perfrom admirably in that role to about 300 to 400 yards. However I dont think it is adequate for long range shots on varmints or predators, and I don't really think it was designed for that role.

I've read on multiple forums that guys are getting 1/4 to 1/2 MOA groups with this bullet consistantly, but I'm just not seeing it.

When I was finished shooting the handloads, I ran 20 rds of Black Hills 69gr Matchking ammo through the gun without cleaning or letting it cool. Four 5-shot groups averaged just over 1/2 MOA.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Help me work up a .223 load with 65gr Sierra Gamekings, please!!!

Doing everything (firing the gun) exactly the same every time and self-assessing it and correcting it if needed is the tough part of the challenge. Sometimes I wonder what would be the repeated result of a clamped-down rifle fired remotely using electronic ignition to eliminate the human and mechanical parts in the control.

Reading through the thread, it seems you may have found the best your rifle can do. If so, the planned distances and field conditions may call for a more conventional bolt gun, maybe a better optic, if the potential of 1/2" x 6 (600 yards)= 3" group is not good enough. That 3-inch group is 1-1/2" radius around the pinpoint desired. Seems like good enough for a head shot. I think mirage and air currents could be a bigger problem. Eventually, distance over capability reaches the point of inhumanity.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12