Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PICS System

(Centre County)

Default Re: PICS System

Sorry, thinking "Research". My bad. Get the challenge form and send it in to see what the PSP says. From their answer you will know if you need to get a layer involved or just more paperwork submitted. A misdemeanor, if high enough, can disqualify you from owning a firearm. That's why you want to do the challenge form to see what the PSP says.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I’m in the same boat. Came back as “undetermined” this week on a rifle. I was put in ARD about 15 years ago and completed everything. Weird thing is I passed fine for a handgun a few weeks ago.

(Lehigh County)

Funny that a person can pass a PA State Police and FBI screen to keep a teaching qualification but can't get cleared to purchase a gun. I did the fingerprint and checks some years ago to get certified for substitute teaching and AFAIR the FBI check was thru NICS.
    NRA Life Member

(Bucks County)

They may not have the manpower, at the moment, to investigate the cases that aren't cut and dry.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    Funny that a person can pass a PA State Police and FBI screen to keep a teaching qualification but can't get cleared to purchase a gun. I did the fingerprint and checks some years ago to get certified for substitute teaching and AFAIR the FBI check was thru NICS.
    We had a gun ban troll drop in here a while back arguing against protecting students by arming teachers or staff in the schools.
    Her argument was that her children's teachers were unstable and had criminal records.

I asked her why she allowed her children to be placed in classrooms with teachers who were unstable criminals.
    She had no answer.

I think the background check for teachers is not nearly as stringent as the background check for guns, regardless of the system they employ.
    When the teachers here start mass stabbing kindergarten children like they do in other countries, I suspect the system will be reevaluated.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    We had a gun ban troll drop in here a while back arguing against protecting students by arming teachers or staff in the schools.
    Her argument was that her children's teachers were unstable and had criminal records.

I asked her why she allowed her children to be placed in classrooms with teachers who were unstable criminals.
    She had no answer.

I think the background check for teachers is not nearly as stringent as the background check for guns, regardless of the system they employ.
    When the teachers here start mass stabbing kindergarten children like they do in other countries, I suspect the system will be reevaluated.
    https://www.education.pa.gov/Educato...s/default.aspx

Here's the required background checks. There's three you have to pass for teaching. I had to get them for volunteering at my kids school and coaching kids. It's more than the pics check both in price and scope. The lady is nuts if she thinks her kids teachers have criminal records.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    https://www.education.pa.gov/Educato...s/default.aspx

Here's the required background checks. There's three you have to pass for teaching. I had to get them for volunteering at my kids school and coaching kids. It's more than the pics check both in price and scope. The lady is nuts if she thinks her kids teachers have criminal records.
    It's possible, I don't have any experience with the system.
    I still suspect there are many people working for the school system who are prohibited from owning guns.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

Dems like teachers, not gun owners.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    Dems like teachers, not gun owners.
    Yes

(Bucks County)

Here is a summary of Act 24 showing the prohibited crimes for a school background check. Most of the offenses are serious crimes related to kids that give a lifetime ban. But "regular" felonies not related to kids only get a 10 year ban and a first class misdemeanor only gets you 5.

Felony and first degree misdemeanor convictions never expire for firearms. So YES, you can teach kids but not be able to own a firearm.

http://www.sweetstevens.com/newsroom...-check-statute

The OP needs to find out the exact charge he plead guilty to and see if it meet the maximum sentence requirements to ban firearms purchase. He also needs to talk with a lawyer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12