Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: HELP! I need to learn how to shoot with both eyes open.

Do dry fire techniques to train your brain so to speak. I shoot with both eyes open exclusively even behind a precision rifle. Your field of vision is increased with both eyes open which if you intend to shoot defensively will GREATLY help.

It may take some getting used to, but shooting with both eyes open is to my eyes.. a benefit you just ain't gonna get with having one eye closed.

YMMV
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Lancaster County)

Thank you for all of the replies guys. Having said that, I would like to ask a few followup questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I am no expert on sights but I recall reading on some that you are supposed to keep both eyes open.
    Would these "Combat Sights", made by "Mojo Sights", be an example of such a sighting system? (http://www.redstararms.com/index1.html?1165.html&1)

If so, could someone make a specific recommendation for a similar sighting system that can be used with a Glock pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    This is true. Use an occluder to get used to it (fancy word for piece of scotch tape on your non-dominant lens). You'll get used to it quickly, just takes a little practice.
    So then the idea is that, after a while, even when the tape comes off, I will have gained the ability to focus on the sights with my dominant eye even while the non-dominant one is open?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Shoot with both eyes open. Squint non dominant eye and open slow, you will focus fine.
    My injury does not allow me to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I find any "iron" sight that includes a large front dot to be helpful when shooting both eyes open. Trijicon HD or XS Big Dots come to mind...
    Thank you. I am considering this recommendation.

(Washington County)

I tried for years to keep both eyes open and never progressed in my shooting skills until I started to close one eye (oddly, I now shoot right handed and close my right non-dominant eye). During a LEO Qualification shoot two years ago, an instructor saw me struggling and recommended "Closing whatever fucking eye you want IF it improves your shooting." I immediately switched to closing my right eye and shot a perfect 120/120 for the first time in five years of qualifications.

Sure, in a perfect world, everyone would keep both eyes open and everyone would shoot perfectly. With my eyeballs and brain, closing my right eye works and my shooting has dramatically improved the last 12 months or so.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    I tried for years to keep both eyes open and never progressed in my shooting skills until I started to close one eye (oddly, I now shoot right handed and close my right non-dominant eye). During a LEO Qualification shoot two years ago, an instructor saw me struggling and recommended "Closing whatever fucking eye you want IF it improves your shooting." I immediately switched to closing my right eye and shot a perfect 120/120 for the first time in five years of qualifications.

Sure, in a perfect world, everyone would keep both eyes open and everyone would shoot perfectly. With my eyeballs and brain, closing my right eye works and my shooting has dramatically improved the last 12 months or so.
    I've been shooting with one eye for 45 years, and I've always been a pretty good shot.

If it was good enough for R Lee Ermey, it's good enough for me.

Here's how you shoot with both eyes open: Shoot with both eyes open.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post

heh... That's funny. I remember when I was a kid learning how to aim a bb gun, and I was TERRIBLE until my brother noticed I was shooting right handed and closing my right eye.

I too would LOVE to know how the heck I'm supposed to actually aim with both eyes open, because I imagine if I should ever find myself in a position to defend myself, I wanna be able to see as much as I possibly can.

(Berks County)

Nobody ever talks about the neither/both dominant eye. If you have a truly dominant eye, that is the eye your looking out of. Only if your paying attention to the non dominant eye's picture will you have the ghosting of sights . You don't see your nose. This stuff is a brain thing.

Try night sights in total darkness. Youll soon realise a different color front sight is a good thing.

Put a smudge of vasoline on your glasses right where your looking through on the side you don't want to use. Practice drawing and sighting 30 minutes a day for a month. Dont sight a gun without this during that time. You are training your eye and brain for looking at those sights. You will decouple the unused information from the side not desired. You also will be training your drawing to the good eye. If in your practice you aren't getting the sights to the eye without any fiddly hunting bs, you are doing it wrong and the exercise will be worthless.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Chester County)

Get an inexpensive red dot sight and shoot with a cap over the downrange end of the optic.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter2012 View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies guys. Having said that, I would like to ask a few followup questions:
    So then the idea is that, after a while, even when the tape comes off, I will have gained the ability to focus on the sights with my dominant eye even while the non-dominant one is open?
    That's the idea, train your brain ;->

Yeah I've heard that shooting with both eyes open is actually beneficial. I do it. As others have suggested, put something over your non-dominant eye(tape on glasses, eye patch, whatever) many serious target shooters use this technique. Similar to going to the eye doctor and they ask you to cover one eye when reading the chart. You can buy such a device if you want, I believe they're called occluders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast