Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Need Assist in IDing a Mauser? action

I'm not an expert in military actions and need some help. This action is on a Gibbs Rifle Co. Midland rifle. The made rifles from military action in the mid 1990's. The bolt tells me it's probably a Mauser action but has been modified because of where the safety is now located (and where it is not anymore). Also looks like the bolt release has also been modified.

Gibbs Rifle Co. (was located in WV) is no longer operating and I couldn't find any good where to try to get info on this rifle.

What's the brain trust think? I just want to make sure of the description is correct in the ads I have placed to try to sell this (for a customer) It is now chambered in .30-06 Ackley Improved

Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Elk County)

Default Re: Need Assist in IDing a Mauser? action

Not a Mauser, Ron. It's without question a 1903/1903A3 Springfield action.

That huge 3rd lug on the bolt body is the dead giveaway, as are the "sculpting" of the bolt sleeve, and the spring loaded detent:

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Centre County)

Thank you, that is what I thought in the beginning and had several people on another forum tell me it wasn't. That's why I came here. Googled 03A3 bolt and it does match perfectly.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

I was thinking that but you'd have beaten me at jeopardy. I really didn't have a reason other than it looks like mine all sported up and that missing safety flag on the back. Who would chuck that for ghe dumb trigger safety they added? The hole looks hideous and new safety isn't as good or useful.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I was thinking that but you'd have beaten me at jeopardy. I really didn't have a reason other than it looks like mine all sported up and that missing safety flag on the back. Who would chuck that for ghe dumb trigger safety they added? The hole looks hideous and new safety isn't as good or useful.
    That's a good question, and an equally good reason - the 180-degree lever type safeties on Mausers and 1903 Springfields generally won't clear the scope's ocular bell. So the alternatives were the sliding safety of the thread starter rifle, or a 30-degree throw Buehler safety (and copies):

Also, to address the same problem there were rotating safeties that came with a new bolt sleeve, and some gunsmiths would make modifications to OE bolt sleeves for these safeties:

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

I bought a Parker-Hale 30-06 when stationed in Germany about 1990. It looks very much like the rifle pictured. Including the safety lever and the modest stock. Remember someone telling me that Parker-Hale was using large stocks of surplus 03-A3 parts to put together inexpensive rifles. Not sure if true, but was plausible. It was cheap, accurate enough, and kicked like a mule.

Ray

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by d4xycrq View Post
    I bought a Parker-Hale 30-06 when stationed in Germany about 1990. It looks very much like the rifle pictured. Including the safety lever and the modest stock. Remember someone telling me that Parker-Hale was using large stocks of surplus 03-A3 parts to put together inexpensive rifles. Not sure if true, but was plausible. It was cheap, accurate enough, and kicked like a mule.

Ray
    I believe Parker-Hale got their bolt guns and bolt gun parts from Zastava in Yugoslavia at the time. If you want to relive the past, Zastava USA is importing Mauser-style bolt actions in .30-06 under the model number LK M70.