Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC in VA

Default CC in VA

Heading out to VA in a few weeks and I plan on bringing my EDC. Anything I should know for sure or recent changes due to gov Black Face?

I have a pretty good CC app on my phone that updates regularly but it’s always good to check.

Default Re: CC in VA

Only changes so far from the perspective of concealed carry have to do with certain municipalities since they repealed the statewide firearms preemption for certain properties.

For example, Alexandria passed an ordinance banning carry in parks, municipal government buildings and property, and on any street adjacent to any "permitted event". And no, there is no exception for CHP holders, so if an event starts while you are in a building on one of those adjacent streets, you're essentially trapped until the event is over. It's bullshit and going to turn into a patchwork cluster of impossible to track ordinances and events. Is a construction project a "permitted event"? Who knows?

Not sure what other cities/counties have passed similar actions. I think maybe Richmond, Newport News, ... maybe others have passed bans on OC as well.

Double check for the municipality you are traveling to.

VCDL is the org that is actively fighting these laws and ordinances. They probably have the most up to date info available. Their VA-Alert mailing list is the best way to get news and there is an archive of old mailing list messages that include updates related to ordinances here: https://vcdl.org/page-18197

ETA: https://vcdl.org/CarryInfo appears to be up to date, I think.
    Last edited by buckengr; July 20th, 2020 at 05:14 AM.
    I am not a lawyer.

Thanks for this information and the links. I was reading over it all in my app but this breaks it down into layman’s terms. Thankfully I won’t be staying or visiting any if the listed places. Once we get to our destination which appears to be in a safe county we won’t be leaving much if at all.

(Lancaster County)

I've been trying to keep an eye on VA since I hunt there annually with my brother (and always bring my sidearm). Hurts me to spend money in VA but hunting memories with family is worth it.

(Monroe County)

Also you can't drink in a bar or restaurant CC but OC it's ok. *shrug*
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Make sure you quarantine yourself for 14 days when you get back.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I recently got my VCDL membership packet which included an information card about where to carry and not where to carry. I think it said churches, under certain circumstances and bars are a no-no.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    I recently got my VCDL membership packet which included an information card about where to carry and not where to carry. I think it said churches, under certain circumstances and bars are a no-no.
    Bars have been fine for quite a few years now. Just no drinking.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Bars have been fine for quite a few years now. Just no drinking.
    True. I should have said bars under certain circumstances too.

I put this on another post but this one is a lot newer. Hello everyone, I am a Virginia resident. I have a VA resident CHP and a Utah CFP. I know PA doesn’t recognize either permit. PA used to share reciprocity with VA but I haven’t had to travel to PA for some time. I looked into obtaining a PA license to carry, the only roadblock for me that I can see is character references SHOULD BE residents of the county. I don’t know anyone in Lebanon County or anyone from PA that I can think of off hand. Has anyone else ran into this before? I was thinking of calling the sheriff’s office and asking if they would accept sworn local law enforcement officers from my jurisdiction as character references. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. sorry about my Governor he’s a real POS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast