Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CC in VA

Default Re: CC in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantrider757 View Post
    I put this on another post but this one is a lot newer. Hello everyone, I am a Virginia resident. I have a VA resident CHP and a Utah CFP. I know PA doesn*t recognize either permit. PA used to share reciprocity with VA but I haven*t had to travel to PA for some time. I looked into obtaining a PA license to carry, the only roadblock for me that I can see is character references SHOULD BE residents of the county. I don*t know anyone in Lebanon County or anyone from PA that I can think of off hand. Has anyone else ran into this before? I was thinking of calling the sheriff*s office and asking if they would accept sworn local law enforcement officers from my jurisdiction as character references. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. sorry about my Governor he*s a real POS.
    Sheriffs frequently try to add additional stipulations to the LTCF form. It is unlawful for them to do so. Requiring that references be from the county of application is AGAINST THE LAW.

My recommendation: fill out the form with whatever references you want to use, hand it to them, and DO NOT take it back if they try to hand it back. By that point, you have submitted your application to them and they are legally obligated to respond to it within 45 days.

IANAL.

Thank you all who replied so much. I called the Lebanon Sherifs office today, the woman who answered was very friendly, respectful, and understanding. She said as a non resident I could use any references as I don’t know anyone from PA. It’s $20 and 15 minutes of my time. I don’t agree with having to pay to utilize any of my rights however it may come in handy in the future for other states that recognize PA LTCF if our gun grabbing AG does the same as your attorney general and refuses to honor other states.

(Erie County)

I put this on another post but this one is a lot newer. Hello everyone, I am a Virginia resident. I have a VA resident CHP and a Utah CFP. I know PA doesn*t recognize either permit. PA used to share reciprocity with VA but I haven*t had to travel to PA for some time. I looked into obtaining a PA license to carry, the only roadblock for me that I can see is character references SHOULD BE residents of the county. I don*t know anyone in Lebanon County or anyone from PA that I can think of off hand. Has anyone else ran into this before? I was thinking of calling the sheriff*s office and asking if they would accept sworn local law enforcement officers from my jurisdiction as character references. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. sorry about my Governor he*s a real POS.
    Come up to Erie, go to the beach. Apply for LTCF. No references required. Cash only. Application online. P. S. We're not too thrilled about the current governor here either.
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; August 6th, 2020 at 08:43 PM.

Going to VA next month...so I just need to follow FOPA through Maryland to get it to VA?
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Going to VA next month...so I just need to follow FOPA through Maryland to get it to VA?
    Yes.

I took 78/22 to 81 into MD to my Brothers in Boonsboro MD which is right on the VA/WV boarder. We pulled over for a pee and coffee break right at the PA/MD boarder I disarmed unloaded and cased everything in a lock box and placed it under neither a trunk loaded with family vacation crap. Same procedure on the way home when we left the vacation home in VA and picked my dog up at my brothers, then stopped at the 1st place we could when we hit the PA free zone and then loaded back up.

Here is the updated form on the VCDL with all their new rules and where they apply, you can print it and carry it with you.

https://vcdl.org/resources/pdf/VCDL-Carry-Card.pdf

The card states this already but be careful in Northern VA. Each locality now has the ability to regulate carry of firearms on city/county/town property and events requiring a permit. In NoVA several localities have banned carry, open and concealed to the fullest extent on city property. Down here in my region (Hampton Roads) the city of Newport News has banned open carry only on city property. This is very problematic for someone trying to be a law abiding citizen as every locality can have different laws. If one was to get a yard sale permit, the locality could potentially regulate carry of firearms on one’s private property! Completely ridiculous and unnecessary! Please tell every gun owner you know in PA to vote in EVERY election big or small because the consequences of that election could literally cost you life one day.

https://youtu.be/Jcz4vSy_RXU

Card is very helpful. Now to figure out if Chincoteague Island is some kind of prohibited forest or park.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

https://vcdl.org/CarryInfo

^^^ This is the same thing as the card but continuously updated. Keep in mind the local government gun control only pertains to city/county/town owned or leased property or event requiring a permit and only if the county/town/city has enacted any gun control. Enjoy your trip!

(Adams County)

I put this on another post but this one is a lot newer. Hello everyone, I am a Virginia resident. I have a VA resident CHP and a Utah CFP. I know PA doesn’t recognize either permit. PA used to share reciprocity with VA but I haven’t had to travel to PA for some time. I looked into obtaining a PA license to carry, the only roadblock for me that I can see is character references SHOULD BE residents of the county. I don’t know anyone in Lebanon County or anyone from PA that I can think of off hand. Has anyone else ran into this before? I was thinking of calling the sheriff’s office and asking if they would accept sworn local law enforcement officers from my jurisdiction as character references. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. sorry about my Governor he’s a real POS.
    Since you are a non-resident of PA, you have the option to apply in any of the 67 counties. I have always heard that the Sheriff of Centre County (Penn State) was always decent with non-residents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12