Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Recommendations and experience with Emergency Radios

I was struck by a bolt of lightning today, causing me to remember I had purchased an emergency radio during the Y2k scare, an Eton FR-300. It has been in our emergency supplies box since then. I dug it out today and pulled it out of the nylon carrying bag, to find that the plastic body material must be degrading from the heat of being in an attic for 15+ years (we moved about 4 years ago, so no longer in the attic). The plastic body looked normal until it was touched, then it was like a sticky, tacky glue, with the appearance of vaseline smeared on it, wherever it was touched. It won't wipe off, so, while everything seems to work, it can't be handled without getting sticky stuff all over hands, etc.

I am looking for recommendations and experience with these radios in order to purchase a similar unit. Eton, Kaito, Midland, Sangean are names that appear on most Top 6-8-10 lists, and are all similar, yet all different, making it difficult to compare. Looking for something under $70 (the manufacturers listed all have models under $70), hand crank charging, solar charging, rechargeable batteries (Li-on or NiMH??), Alkaline batteries, able to charge devices, etc. AM-FM, NOAA, etc. Amazon reviews are all over the place, mostly positive for most models, with a few "0" stars thrown in for confusion. Not very helpful. Please let me know what you know.

As a side note, I recently purchased 2 Baofeng UV5R's, so maybe I am covered for what the radio will do except for the self-charging.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Recommendations and experience with Emergency Radios

That sounds like how truck steering wheels get after sitting for a few months. If you hop in one and don't think about it your hands get all gooed up. But this cleans up fairly well and quickly with a baby wipe towel or Windex and paper towels. Have you tried cleaning it up at all?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    That sounds like how truck steering wheels get after sitting for a few months. If you hop in one and don't think about it your hands get all gooed up. But this cleans up fairly well and quickly with a baby wipe towel or Windex and paper towels. Have you tried cleaning it up at all?
    Yes, I tried to clean it up with a bit of soap and water, and also some other cleaner, but neither made a difference.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Well all of those listed will probably sit in your attic for the next 15 + years just the same *.. so does it matter?
    Just a little humor , but maybe if it were me * I'd look into ways "solar" of charging the baofengs *. rather than a hand crank radio *. but that may not be useful to you. Buyt the solar could be used for others things also.
    I been "playing" with some baofengs *.. not bad at all for the $23 a piece I paid.
    Haha, not the attic, but you're probably right.

Some of them have built-in solar panels for re-charging the batteries. I have thought about solar panels for other things, like exterior lighting, but haven't purchased anything. Every time I begin to look into it, I get so confused by the amount of information available, and the compatibility (or non-compatibility) of all the components, and the contradictory nature of different websites and reviews, that I give up on it.

(Lebanon County)

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-360...5810967&sr=8-5

AM/FM/Shortwave with DSP - Simple operation, runs on AA Batteries and small enough to put in a pocket with a ton of features and HF frequencies for the price. This one has ETM tuning that will find the frequencies with the best reception and set them first for you to cycle through.

Honestly simple is better for things like this. If you already have a Baofeng you have a lot of bases covered.

I have 2 - Both are the CountyComm Branded but identical. One is the Single sideband version. With a 10 foot piece of speaker wire strung up and attached to the end of my antenna I can pretty much pull in any station.

I had an Elton and went through the same problem. The plastic coloring just breaks down over time.. Goo Gone works well.
    Last edited by Bellerophon; July 26th, 2020 at 09:55 PM.

Dont blame the attic or high temperature on your Eton getting funky.
    Mine is almost as bad sitting in a cool cabinet. Really weird why its disintegrating like they are.

Mine is a bright red color.

(Bucks County)

Your Baofeng can do most of what the your Eton can do, but not everything. Program in the 7 NOAA frequencies on your Boafeng from this site to get the weather channels: https://www.weather.gov/nwr/station_listing
    If you figured out how to use the Chirp programming software, you can give those channels helpful names like NOAA1-7. You probably already figured out you can listen to FM broadcast stations by pressing (but don't hold down!) the red call button on the left side. (Press *scan to easily go through stations)
    The Baofeng cannot receive the AM broadcast stations, which is probably the biggest loss of functionality if you lost the eton and only had the Baofeng. I hope that helps with your decision.

(Philadelphia County)

I like my CC Skywave https://www.universal-radio.com/cata...able/0034.html (They also make a model that receives SSB, at twice the price.)
    Shirt pocket sized, 2 AA batteries that last a long time. AM/FM/SW/WX also Air band.
    Lot of nice little features, scanning, memories, bandwidth.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Northampton County)

My red Eton’s did that too. Sticky mess.

What you have is the plasticizer has migrated out of the cheap plastic the manufacturer used for the case. There is little to nothing you can do to help it. Basically, the plastic has chemically broken. You could try a very small amount of MEK on a rag with gloves on and rub up the bottom of the case then try Amorall on it. If it helped, you could try to clean the rest of the unit. The MEK will dissolve clear plexiglas and other plastic parts and pieces so be careful.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!