Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default 9mm ARs break bolt catches unless set up right.

Maybe a generally known thing, I don't know. I recently learned of it. Friend had bought a Brigade BM-9, was on the range, fired less than 50 rounds and the gun quit. He told me over the phone the trigger seemed to not be working. I suspected the buffer detent had been sheared off.

He visited Thursday, bringing the gun with him. The bolt was open and frozen and what was left of the release leaver fell to the floor as I looked things over. When the leaver broke at it's weakest point...at its roll pin hole... the spring and plunger flew away.

The (unstaked) castle nut was loose and backed off a few turns. That should not have happened, but there it was. I turned the buffer tube back and off, relieving the spring tension on the bolt, then disengaged the rear pin and opened the top receiver from the lower.

I purchased the parts online and they are on the way. My friend called Brigade prepared to send it to them but they told him they are not accepting repair work because they are in the midst of producing a redesigned model. No offer of parts either. Nice, Huh? The parts cost $11.40 retail. What could it cost them?

I have learned that broken bolt catches is a well-known problem with 9mm ARs. The trick is to spacer the recoil spring and plunger so the front of the bolt doesn't travel rearward more than an eighth-inch past the bolt catch, so when it springs forward, it doesn't yet have enough energy developed to break the bolt catch. Spacers can be made of quarters. I read of $1.75 in one case, $3.00 worth in another. Talk about throwing money at the problem. For this, that's one answer.
    Last edited by Bang; July 18th, 2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: called the buffer a plunger...duhh
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 9mm ARs break bolt catches unless set up right.

They make spacers for that.
    I have a Spikes Tactical buffer spacer in my 9mm carbine.
    I read about that issue years ago when I was building my carbine and just incorporated it proactively.

Here's an old arfcom thread on the topic:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/He...___/15-601760/

This one is 7 bucks (the Spikes looks to be more durable)
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New...fferspacer.htm

buffer spacer seen on the right

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Yup either a longer buffer or a spacer is needed

(Bucks County)

This Brigade BM-9 came with a spacer installed. It isn't doing the job. I won't know the open bolt/bolt catch relationship until I see the gun again and install the parts. He took the gun home before I researched and learned all this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bang; July 18th, 2020 at 12:17 PM.

That's why you don't want to be the beta tester for a no name company offering guns during a crisis. Your buddy was foolish for buying from an unknown quality.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    That's why you don't want to be the beta tester for a no name company offering guns during a crisis. Your buddy was foolish for buying from an unknown quality.
    Pretty much. Never heard of them.
    Yikes. Those prices!
    I'll stick to building guns. I've yet to have a problem with any of mine.

(Allegheny County)

I just happened upon this ad in my emails for this gun (I assume this is it) and it says:
    "Limited Lifetime Warranty by Brigade Manufacturing"

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/bri...product_detail

(Bucks County)

Looks like the new model they've been working on and the reason they didn't have time to accept repairs as told to my friend.

Actually, Findlaw shows the real reason:

The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act regulates all consumer product warranties for items costing consumers more than fifteen dollars ($15.00), (the parts cost $11.40, so there's that) requiring that they be designated as either full or limited. Limited warranties are substantially more common. Understanding the difference between the two main warranty types will help you make better consumer choices.

See FindLaw's Product Warranties and Returns section for additional articles, including Consumer Warranty Basics.

Full Warranty
    Any company offering a full warranty must repair or replace the product during the specified warranty period. Federal and some state laws mandate that if a company plans to fix the covered item, they must do within a reasonable amount of time and it must be reasonably convenient for the consumer to get the item to and from the place where it will be repaired. Typically, this is handled through the mail or a private parcel delivery service.

Additionally, full warranties do not often cover normal wear and tear.

A full warranty may be active for just a limited time after the item is purchased, perhaps 60 or 90 days, or it may cover the product "for life" (the same goes for limited warranties). But the actual scope of a lifetime warranty may mean the item is covered for its lifetime on the market (until it is discontinued) or it may last only for as long as the original buyer owns it, but it rarely comes without conditions.

Limited Warranty
    As its name implies, a limited warranty is limited to just the specified parts, certain types of defects, or other conditions. But since it can mean virtually anything the retailer decides, it is important to fully understand the meaning of "limited" when buying such a product. Often, it covers just the parts and not the labor required to fully fix something. A limited warranty also may include the stipulation that the manufacturer and the consumer split the cost of repairs for a given period of time.

Typically, both limited and full warranties cost extra as an add-on. Sometimes, particularly with car dealerships, a range of warranty options are offered. For example, a new car that comes with a five-year warranty might offer the option to pay for a 10-year limited warranty.

Whether you are planning to buy a product with a full warranty or a limited warranty, understanding the fine print can help you make informed consumer decisions.
    Last edited by Bang; July 19th, 2020 at 12:09 PM.